Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Benefits of Staying Home

We all can name many benefits of the privilege of staying home with our children. I have been fortunate to be afforded with this luxury and I definitely enjoyed the many benefits. We slept in a lot, had relaxing days, met with friends, went to uncrowded malls and grocery stores, played in the park when it was nice out and most importantly, I was able to witness many milestones in my children's lives. It has been an incredible journey, and one that I probably don't appreciate as often as I should.

About a month ago, I had about two hours before the girls arrived home from school. I took the opportunity to run to the grocery store. I prefer to go in the morning, but that particular day I ended up there in the afternoon. I had a short list, a typical 30 minute run, in, out and home again. T was heading home early, which was fortunate for me because I had a divine appointment - at least that is what I consider it.

My first stop was the deli and produce. I whizzed through there, picking up what I needed and then made a beeline for the soup aisle. I hate soup. I never buy it unless I need it to make something else. That particular day, I decided to bring home some soup for T as he was not feeling so well and had indicated a particular desire for something like, well, soup! I picked up a few cans and went on my way down the aisle.

As I neared the end of the aisle, there was an elderly man holding a can of spinach right up to his huge magnifying glass which was nearly pressed against his face. He must have sensed my approach because he quickly put down his hands, turned to me and asked, "Excuse me. Can you tell me if this is spinach? I have macular degeneration and I cannot read these words." I took one look at the can of spinach and thought to myself, "How did this guy even get here?" I assured him it was the can he was looking for, he thanked me and off I went.

My train of thought at this point was lending itself to immense curiosity. How did this man get here? He shops? No one helps him?? The farther away I got from him, the more the pangs of guilt built up in me. You see, I love old people. I always have. And more than love them, I'm just innately drawn to them. I had just met an old man in need, I had two hours before my children were to be home.... I just couldn't walk away. As I made my way down the next aisle I just knew I had to go back and make sure this poor fellow was OK. I easily found him, in the soup section, and asked him if I could be of assistance. He again explained his condition to me, obviously having no clue that I was the one who had just helped him.

His name was Joe, his wife was in a nursing home, his adult children lived nearby. His son brings him to the grocery store once a month, so I soon found out that Joe had a LONG list of things he needed. Not only that, he had brought along coupons that he couldn't read. He was quite familiar with the store, where his favorite items were, however many specific details or names of items were incorrect. This made for some interesting hunting on my part. Joe and I wove up and down every single aisle in that store, me telling him where we were, asking if he needed anything, locating exactly what he wanted and filling up his cart. All the while, I was grabbing my own groceries along the way. It was a journey, for me it was a luxury.

At about 3:40, I was finally heading for the checkout line. Joe had insisted that at the end of the frozen food aisle there were double baked potatoes in a blue box with the name "Lays" on them. We had searched high and low for these boxes and could not find them. After I left him in line for checkout, I had to run back to that aisle for waffles before checking out myself. As I was coming down the aisle, I spotted them. "Larry's" was the name, I grabbed a box and headed off for Joe. There he was, checking out with his son, who was surprised that I knew his dad's name, thankful I'd found his potatoes.

I barely made it home on time that day, fortunately T was home so the girls were safe. Two hours in the grocery store helping an old man shop. It was fun, it was a pleasure. I have no idea why that son was not helping his father. He seemed pleasant enough and his father clearly was not shirking help. If it had been my dad, I would have been honored to be able to serve him in that way. I don't really care how annoying he would be, it would be my dad.

The truth is that I will never have that opportunity to help my father when he's old. I won't be able to walk him up and down every aisle so he can get food for himself and his ailing wife in a nursing home. I won't be able to take him to his doctor's appointments or celebrate his 70th birthday with him. But there will be some days in my life when God will quench the thirst in my heart for that opportunity. For whatever reason, He will allow another son or daughter to step aside so that I can do what I've always wanted to - spend an hour or so with an old man or woman. And I will thank him for that luxury.

I recognize that my children and I have reaped many benefits of my choosing to and being able to stay home with them. I also recognize that if I allow him, God can shape my time and use it for His glory in situations I could not even have dreamt up myself. He knew that that moment in time would ease the pain of this time right now, sandwiched between my dad's birthday, February 22nd and the day he died, March 3. In miraculous ways that only He can orchestrate, God gently reminds me during this time that He made a way for us to be with our loved one for eternity, more importantly, with Him. I hope I see Joe there as well, because there he'll be able to see me!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

How cool that you could help this man. What a difficult ordeal for him without assistance.