Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Day Two: Disney Exploration!


I guess if I want to be a true Disney Freak I need to relocate to the Orlando area. At least this runs through my mind each time we visit our friends. As we sat around the day before, my friend said to me, "I was thinking, if you'd like, we could head over to the Wilderness Lodge tomorrow, take a 20 minute nature hike and visit the Tri-circle-D Ranch, where they do pony rides and we can visit the stables. That is, if you are all up for a hike!" Up for a hike? After sitting around in sub-freezing temperatures for months, we are totally up for a sunny, warm hike!

We all set off for a Disney adventure the next morning. I'd never heard of the Tri-circle-D Ranch, so I was excited to see this. If you've never been to Disney World or are planning to be in the Orlando area but not going to any of the Disney Parks, I'd highly recommend this little excursion. We drove to the Wilderness Lodge, discovered the pool that we were planning to stick our toes in was being renovated, and headed on our way to the Ranch. After a short paved hike, we arrived. We visited the stables, saw some beautiful horses and also Cinderella's white ponies. Em had fun stamping her foot like they were doing in protest of getting all gussied up for a wedding that day.

We then had our first Disney disappointment as we discovered the petting zoo and pony rides were closed, due to reopen the very next day!! Boy did we miss that one! We had a couple unhappy pony riders with us, so we now know next time to call first. At this location, there is also a restaurant, a trading post, a playground and some personal watercraft rentals. When I was a kid and my family camped at WDW, I believe this was where all the action was! It all looks so different now.

We decided to take a short boat launch to the Magic Kingdom, where we then hopped on the resort monorail, hopped off at the Contemporary Resort (I'd never been in there, very interesting), Em caught a glimpse of Cinderella's slipper and we changed into shorts, then walked out to the pool - wish we'd brought our suits!, then hopped a boat launch back to the Wilderness Lodge. I didn't know this, but if you look at the back of the Wilderness Lodge from the boat, you will see the image of a bear face. I tried to get a picture, but it turned out a bit fuzzy.

Once we returned to the Lodge, the girls ran around the wading pool in their shorts. They were then joined by a couple ducks!! who also joined us under our picnic table. Yes, it is certainly the wilderness! We enjoyed a short, late lunch before heading home to get ready for the Pirate and Princess Party that evening. Truthfully, a Disney vacation just at one of their resorts is enough to keep anyone occupied. No park visits necessary!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I wanna go I wanna go!!! That looks like a lot of fun...of course I would be having an asthma attack if I went to see Cinderellie's ponies!