Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Garage Doors

I came across this article on what I would consider an incident of horrific proportions! Apparently, in Quantico (our distant neighbor), Virginia the Marine base sent out a strong radio signal that warranted neighboring garage door openers useless. I'm so glad it wasn't strong enough to reach my home! My garage door opener is the key to my house. I'm not even sure I have my key in my purse. Had this happened to us, it may have left me stranded without a home.

It reminded me of a morning just after we'd moved in. Our first home was a townhouse with no driveway or garage. Neither T nor I grew up with garages, so this home is our first with one. I don't think we'd been here a month or two when we woke up to a power outage. As if that wasn't bad enough, we didn't know how to open our garage doors without the opener!! What a hysterical sight - two grown adults running around with no lights, no hair dryers, no hot water trying to figure out how to get out of the house.

We finally figured out how to pull on that red cord to unlock the opener and then open the door. The problem then - we were not able to shut them! I've never felt so stupid or helpless in my life. Probably the most embarrassing thing about this story - I still have no idea how to shut my garage door without that remote!

No comments: