Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Heaven

Em has been trying to wrap her mind around what's going on with my uncle. She's so confused. We went out to LA this past summer and she met my aunt and uncle for the first time she remembers. They'd seen her before at my brother's wedding, but for her they were new. She really enjoyed hanging out with them, catching rolly poleys in their backyard, going through my aunts huge shell collection, hiking down to the beach with them. She has been quite concerned about my uncle and keeps asking about him

Tonight she asked me how his "head surgery" went today. I forgot that as my day was updated, hers was not. I explained to her that it was time for Uncle Dave to go to heaven. Honestly, I don't know that's where he'll go - that is for God to determine, but I felt for her, right now, it was easiest to tell her that. She then went into her thoughts on heaven, that people will be waiting for him up there, it will be fun. Then she asked me this: Can we dream about earth up in heaven? I assured her that when we are in heaven, the last place we want to dream about is earth! And I told her the reason we don't know what it's like in heaven is because we'd only want to be there if we really knew!! and that would make life here so unpleasant!

Her mind is just reeling with all that is happening. Tomorrow we fly to Florida and she was hoping we might run into Uncle Dave while we're there, to see him one last time. I told her Florida is a bit far from LA! She was not satisfied, wanting to know how many states would separate us from seeing Uncle Dave. I guess she has some questions for him!

Here's one of my all time favorite hymns. I've probably posted it before somewhere, but I like this one for times like these.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

Refrain

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

Refrain

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

Refrain

But, Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!
Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!

Refrain

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Refrain

This hymn has an amazing story behind it. You can read about it and Horatio Spafford here.

Peace! and sweet dreams of heaven to each of you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Back in August 2005, Judah confronted the reality of death for the first time, when his 10-year old friend Caleb died in a car accident and then Diana's grandmother died of cancer ten days later. Helping him make sense of it was one of the hardest things we ever had to do, but also one of the most encouraging things as well. I blogged about it here: http://jeremydelrio.com/blog/2005/08/17/four-year-olds-grieve-too/

Praying for you! Enjoy Florida as much as possible.