Monday, February 05, 2007

My Uncle

News from the West Coast is that my uncle has been taken off the surgery roster for today. So far, no one has spoken with my aunt about why, but she said that his condition has greatly deteriorated over the past 24 hours. Please continue to pray for their family. My aunt has stayed with him through the night, I know she is exhausted. And my cousins will be at the hospital soon I'm sure. Thank you!

UPDATE: My cousin just emailed. Still no word on why they are not proceeding with the surgery, but the general consensus is that he is just not healthy enough at this time. He is in the hospital for a bacterial infection that is not going away and just last night they had to drain his lung of fluid. He does not have pneumonia yet, but that is a possibility. It is about 8:30 am out there so hopefully they will hear from a doctor soon.

UPDATE #2: I spoke with my cousin about an hour ago. With great sadness yet a sense of relief, they have decided against surgery for my uncle. After consulting with the doctor, it appears that with this aggression of this tumor and his infection, my uncle has very little chance of surviving long after. The doctor who consulted with them has 30 years of experience, and in his 30 years he said that the prognosis for this type of tumor has not changed!! It is an unfortunately lethal tumor, giving people little hope of life. I think we all agree that living for a few months with limited functionality and the knowledge that you will soon pass is difficult to imagine.

Thank you for your prayers - and continued support. They are moving him into a hospice type room and I will let you all know as time passes where everything stands.

No comments: