Saturday, February 24, 2007

Housecleaning

Yup, that's what we're doing today... that and hosting friends. After cleaning every nook and cranny that we can, we are going to allow more little girls over to mess it all up again. And the cycle continues!

Last night, I took Em to Girl Scout Thinking Day. The older scouts organized a great evening all about Russia. I have to admit, it was a little much for the Daisies, and if I had it to do over again, which I won't!, I would not recommend it for them. They had fun amidst the moaning, I'm quite sure of it! Kt missed last night as she was home sick yesterday. She would have LOVED the whole evening.

In thinking about cleaning up my house, I am reminded of all the things I would love to do around here. There's a long list of things we don't need but would love to have, hardwood floors, new kitchen, finished basement, new windows, landscaping (especially after having our front yard with it's bushes hauled away after our sewer issue!), painting. The list is long, the cost is out the roof - sorry for the pun, but it is intended, except that we just had a new roof put on last fall, so I'd like to keep that intact for a while!

So I pose this question, to myself and anyone reading, do we pick one of our projects to improve this old house or do we save our money to take our girls on this summer's mission's trip? The cost of the trip for all four of us to go will come close to the cost of hardwood floors. While it's difficult to really put a price on the impact we can make in the world for Christ, I want to get the most bang for my buck! I could wait YEARS for hardwood floors, that's not a huge "sacrifice" for me. But when I compare the two I wonder... I'm tempted to skip the floors to impact my two daughters. Just working through this thought process...

Well, off to clean, whistle while I work and think about God's plan for this summer. Cleaning can be a scary thing!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Just my opinion here...
I think it's how you look at it. Personally, I think we are living our faith every moment. Not to say that mission trips aren't great, but if you didn't have the $ for a trip one year, you would just find other ways to give of your life/be involved in charity/etc.
-k