Sunday, February 04, 2007

One Last Funny

I just realized I left off the funniest memory because it was part of email message (if you have no idea what I'm talking about, check a few posts down!). J originally emailed me one of our most hysterical moments. She lived in a beautiful Victorian home right next to the church on the hill that I attended. In the downstairs, there were French doors between all the rooms. OK, probably not all of them, but at least in the living room, where there was a baby grand piano. We NEVER played in that room, only played the piano. Imagine our horror (or complete delight!), when one day I decided to try out my newly mastered "round-off", which for those of you who have no recollection whatsoever of elementary school gymnastics, is a cartwheel when you land on two feet. As I came down for my "perfect" landing, I hit the edge of the sofa, was knocked off balance and in attempting to catch myself ended up walking (more like jogging) out the living room backwards, banging right into one of those french doors. I was so scared, I just laughed myself silly.

Now, that was her memory. Mine back to her was of a time when we were goofing off up in the third floor. That floor contained two of her brother's bedrooms, an old bathroom with a window into a large playroom/hobby room/game room. Her brothers would leave their RISK game set up in there all the time. I'm quite certain we messed it up more times than they cared to admit!

In that room were the two mattresses that we used as our indoor trampoline. They were safely placed in the little alcove formed by the spire of Victorian homes, the ones surrounded by windows. We are so lucky we didn't jump right out that third story window! while practicing our flips - no kidding!

On this particular day, we were not dancing to "Freak Out", messing up RISK or even playing on the trampoline. We were shooting each other into the air. It was quite fun, for a time. One of us would lay on the ground with our feet in the air, the other would trustingly lay down on the other's feet and be launched up into the air for a split second flight. It was all fun and games until up in the air I went, down on my back I landed and had the air completely knocked out of me. It was literally my first brush with death! I was positively convinced right there on the ground that I was in fact dying. Fortunately, I was wrong.

No comments: