Thursday, March 01, 2007

Word Whammer

We are huge fans of LeapFrog products in this house. We currently own two Leap Pads - one with a microphone, a Leapster, the LeapFrog Explorer Globe and this refrigerator magnet Word Whammer. We bought this for Em about a year and a half ago. At the time, I was a little disappointed the letters were all upper case. Since then, they have come out with a lowercase letter expansion pack, which I haven't bothered to track down.

This Word Whammer game has been on our refrigerator since we got it. Em will occasionally stop and play it, but to be totally honest, I don't really pay attention to it most of the time. Today she's home for the morning, so I told her to give it a try and I was listening while I ate my breakfast. This little game, in the mode she likes, asks kids to find the letters to spell three letter words. There are hundreds of three letter words in it's little database.

This morning the word "war" came up. Now, I'm not an overly sheltering kind of parent, but is that word really appropriate for children that are preschool aged? Em didn't even ask me about the word, she was so busy making it with the letters. When T came in from taking Kt out to the bus, I asked him what he thought (just to be sure I wasn't being overbearing, overprotective and overly critical) and he was shocked as well. I guess we won't be getting the four letter version of this game should it ever come out!

No comments: