Saturday, March 10, 2007

Silence

I must be getting old, because I realized today, after returning home to "music" blaring at an unreasonable volume through my entire house, that I prefer silence. I don't mind background music, but I really can't get anything done with constant banging. I must be getting old.

The real truth is that I can't even think or hold a conversation when it's that noisy. I don't know if this is related to my hearing loss or the good possibility that I have a tinge of ADD. When I am bombarded with too much noise, especially when it's all on top of each other, I pretty much tune out and enter a sort of zone out mode. I notice this most when I'm working with those preschoolers and we are outside or in the gym. It's very difficult for me to hear anyone calling me when so much is going on around me.

So, if I see you in a large group that is very noisy, such as at church, in a grocery store, at the park, and you try to yell to me, don't be surprised if I act like I can't hear you. I can't! If you want me to help out in some way, ask me to do something that can be done in solitude, at my house (when my husband isn't home "listening" to his loud, pounding music) or with only a couple people. It probably has little to do with my age, as I can remember preferring small, quiet groups my whole life. But I'll just blame my distaste for ridiculously loud music on the fact that my tastes are a little more refined now. Sorry T!

3 comments:

Only Look said...

Yeah, I identify so much with what you are saying here. It seems we are losing our quietness. I read this good transcript by Dr Erwin Lutzer from Moody Church in Chicago a while backThe Shepherd And His Sheep

This is also new and was helpful to me,Quieting A Noisy Soul but it may not be applicable in your case as only the Lord knows our needs.

Kathryn said...

Oh my, I can totally relate! Some of Chris' music actually starts making me angry. I find myself getting into a bad mood for no reason, and at that point tell him to either change the CD or deal with my mood for the rest of the day! (He's a smart guy and chooses wisely ;-)

Only Look said...

Yep! My fourteen year older and I have been over the territory as well.