Thursday, March 15, 2007

Inner Californian

Here's a funny one. It's actually funny because we had a friend who just went on a business trip to LA. She was dropping her daughter off here Saturday night, so we pulled out our LA map and told her where to go on her last day. She was flying into Long Beach, working at a golf course in Placentia and then flying out of LAX. My first instinct was to have her change her LAX flight. Then we decided to have her drive up the PCH through Rancho Palos Verdes up to LAX. On final thought, we sent her up the I-10 to Santa Monica to the pier and even encouraged her to take a detour through Beverly Hills and down Rodeo Drive. It was a tough choice.

All the time, I was remembering what our trip was like last summer and kept thinking that what appealed to me most was this tiny little island in Newport Beach, where my cousin lived, called Balboa Island. Our friend was going to be nowhere near there, and for someone who is traveling alone I wasn't sure she'd want to go out of her way and possibly get lost. I didn't even mention it to her! For those who don't know, Balboa Island is the most adorable teeny tiny island with these gorgeous homes on it. It gives you the feel of Cape Cod in California. It totally connected with my inner Yankee!

Yesterday I ran into my friend. She said that she did the Santa Monica thing, Rodeo Drive, ate at Bubba's... the whole 9 yards. Then she told me they were all telling her to go instead up the PCH, so next time she wanted to do that, but she admitted to me that her favorite part was when they took her to Newport Beach. I immediately jumped on that - asked about Balboa Island and she we shared a moment. She absolutely loved it, the little ferry, eating on the ocean, all the little shops. How fun!!

So, I figured I ought to take this quiz. I've never even been to San Diego. I'm guessing they didn't have a little blurb for Balboa Island, because that is where my inner Californian really is!
You Belong in San Diego

Laid back and friendly, you were meant to live most of your life on the beach.
You usually think everything is "all good"... except when the weather dips under 60F.
You stay classy - especially when you're in Tijuana!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

When I get bored I take some of the quizzes you take. We consistently have the same answers... it's amazing. :)

I'm excited to lead with YOU!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Balboa Island! We took our friends Sam and Rachel (from England) there last May...and we had chocolate covered frozen bananas! And salt water taffy!

I want to go back!

deanna said...

That is so funny, LB! Yes, leading will be fun, especially since only one of us has to be anywhere at any one time, seeing as we are identical in every way! LOL

Deana, we really have to meet! And now we have another point of meeting that would appeal to us both! I totally missed the chocolate covered frozen bananas - sounds absolutely delicious! Wonder how I missed that! I, too, want to go back there. It's just too quaint! (Except for the parking issue!)