Monday, March 05, 2007

News in a Nutshell

Well, I'm surviving T being home for almost a week now! This morning, I had to take a shower to The Police pounding through my house. Yes, the stereo is downstairs and my shower is up! I also have the looming computer issue upcoming. He'll have to turn his in on Friday, which leaves this one and the iMac that we returned.... in other words, this ONE! We also survived a Chicken Parmesan pizza, salad and Cake 'n Berries for dessert. Tonight - Peppersteak, deep fried onion (this one should be a sight - I've never even tried to deep fry anything!) and more of that dessert from last night. I must say, I could get used to T cooking, it's the grocery bill that scares me. You should have seen the look on my face when he told me today that he needed 6 cups of vegetable oil to deepfry one onion.... Yup, you know the look I'm talking about!

Here are a couple things going on that I've failed to mention because I'm waiting for pictures, which will never come! First, we went up to Connecticut the weekend before my birthday for a surprise party for my sister-in-law's 3oth birthday. I couldn't mention it before we went because she was checking my blog every single day the week before! The big surprise was a new car. After the second pair of driving gloves, I think she caught on to the theme. My brother had carefully planned the entire weekend - not an easy feat, as we were supposed to home, he had to hide a new car and she had a meltdown the day before. Needless to say, it's all water under the bridge now - or is it a Hyundai Tucson speeding over the bridge?? Wish I could share some pictures, but my brother hasn't sent any!

Secondly, T's been hanging out at home. We were going to escape this past weekend to Key West, but with little planning time, having just been in Florida last month and little details like sick children we opted instead for one night at the waterfront Marriott in Baltimore. It was quite spectacular. When we checked in, they gave us a free upgrade to a "Deluxe" king on the 27th floor. We had a panoramic view of the Inner Harbor up to Ft. McHenry (although we couldn't quite spot it!). Absolutely amazing, and we got there at sunset!! Saturday morning, we walked all the way around the harbor in the 60 degree weather. Just as we returned to the hotel, the wind kicked up and blew us right out of town! (If you count six floors down from the top on the far right, that's where we stayed!)

Saturday afternoon, we caught a movie - Amazing Grace. It was excellent! Well made, a great story and historically I'm guessing accurate... but I'll have to check on that one. While William Wilburforce's story is much about a spiritual journey, it is an amazing story about the impact that one man can have on a moral injustice. I was a little surprised to see many government agencies listed as partners for this movie, but also extremely impressed that they would take a stand to support something so worthwhile. US Congress and the Department for State Department Office for Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons were among the partners. God moved a man to change the world, and the effects are still being felt today. Unfortunately, the problem today is far worse, as human trafficking is even more prevalent than it was during that time.

Finally, I just found out today that friends from college, who have been waiting a very long time for a child, just received their referral today for a beautiful little girl in China. I cannot stop smiling for them - I'm so excited!! They will both be amazing parents, and of course, we're a little partial to children of Chinese descent! God has showered His blessings on them today and we will continue to pray for this process. It will be May before they bring her home.

One more day with T and then I'm on my own.... it's a little unnerving, but I'll get used to it. I'll be going to an open house about graduate school at Johns Hopkins next weekend and also submitting an application to work as an instructional assistant soon. Next year is shaping up to be different, busy and maybe a little more than I'm ready for. YIKES!

5 comments:

tony sheng said...

Your readers might be interested to know that I burned a CD that I entitled, "Fun with Deanna's Subwoofer."

deanna said...

Oh, so it really is mine? I was starting to wonder, as I've not had the chance yet to try it out for myself!;-)

Anonymous said...

My friend Eric Metaxas wrote the companion book to the movie, a biography by the same title. He's a great writer and I expect his work is well researched and legit. Check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0061173002?ie=UTF8&tag=awaywithwords-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0061173002

deanna said...

I will have to check that out. When the movie came out, it reminded me of someone I knew at Gordon who seemed obsessed with Wilburforce - I had not idea it was a person!! I checked him out, Kevin Belmonte, and it appears he's written several books, too, as well as heading the Wilburforce Project at Gordon. I should have paid more attention when I was there!

Kathryn said...

Thx for your good wishes & prayers! :-)