Sunday, March 25, 2007

Highs

I cannot wait for Tuesday - high of 78 degrees!! I'm not sure what the deal is, but that particular day is so far flanked in the 10 day forecast with days with a high in the upper 50's. Hmmm.... well, at least it's a taste of what is to come. To be totally honest, I miss New England springtime being here. Almost every year minus a couple we have not had a true spring here. It will be winter one day and summer the next, seriously! So, the prospect of having a real spring is kind of exciting.

Last night, we had dinner with some friends in Alexandria, VA. Our drive down was amazing, as we saw cherry blossoms in bloom everywhere. It always amazes me around here how we can drive just 30 minutes south and enter a springtime wonderland while our own home can still look as bleak as winter! Our route also took us slightly East of the Capital and the Washington Monument, both we could see encased in mist and slight fog on both trips. They were breathtaking. I think we both have the bug to go downtown - the girls ALWAYS have the bug to go to the "mall"!

Our friends have been here for about 3 years, and they are getting ready to head to the West Coast for the first time since he graduated from West Point. While it's been fun having them here, we've hardly seen them. Our short 45 minute trip house to house can easily be pushed to over an hour or so most days of the week with beltway traffic, so it has really hindered us from getting together much. Still, I will be sad to see them go.

Christy is a friend from childhood. We grew up in church together, our parents good friends. It's super funny to talk now about growing up, being raised alike with very similar backgrounds, knowing what our moms say to each other about various things and having a meal together like so many we've shared in the past. I really do wish they lived closer, because living in Maryland I've always craved having someone who really knows me and my family. I just don't have that here and I've never really and truly connected with anyone it seems. We spent a considerable amount of time last night, like we do each time we are together, recalling wonderful memories about growing up - it was really fun!!

So, that was a high in my weekend and now I'm just waiting for a high this Tuesday. What's wonderful is that Tuesday is now my most relaxing day, so a nice walk, some time of reflection and I'm sure I'll throw a bit of outdoor cleaning into the mix. I'm hoping the day of the week doesn't change for my 78 degrees, but I wouldn't argue if I had more than one!;-)

No comments: