Sunday, September 02, 2007

Just Another Day at the Beach


Today was the quintessential beach day for me. We slept in, had a small breakfast, puttzed around and then packed up for the beach. Well, Emily, T and I, that is. It was a cool, sunny - not a cloud in the sky - kind of day. The sailboats were out in full force, beachcombers, frisbee players, yellow jackets and sea gulls... I totally love the beach.

When I lived here, I spent hours at the beach. With my friends or without, long, quiet walks, winter or summer, day or night, it was really just a part of my life - a really important part. I have yet to find even one thing in Maryland that inspires and relaxes me like the beach. When I first moved there, I had my little old Cabriolet that was so much fun here on the coast. Once in Maryland it was more of a hassle than anything. So I traded that, and my beachcombing life, for a Paseo and high blood pressure! I'm feeling like it was not really a fair trade.

Seriously, if there was any reasonable way I could live here and raise my kids near the ocean I'd do it in a heartbeat. My heart is permanently attached to the shore and when I'm away from it I am just a very different person. I miss the smell of sand, ocean, sunscreen, and all of that mixed together. I miss going out on a summer night in sandy clothes that smell like beach, meeting for late night s'mores in the grillers, climbing all over those off duty lifeguard chairs, driving around with the top down all along the ocean. It's certainly a way of life my kids will never experience - and to me, that's just sad.

Fortunately, I am still able to have a taste of this each summer, even if it's just not long enough or even fulfilling enough. No more friends scattered all over the beach, no more skinny body to feed unlimited amounts of ice cream and Duchess, gone is my adorable little convertible (although I'm thinking that now that my kids are older....) and now, two kids in tow, which changes that way I beach - but really, in a good way! Maybe someday I'll move back to the beach, I'm just not sure when!

2 comments:

kimsilver said...

I read your post, and it could have been me writing! I miss the beach so much. I miss the smell of it, the sound of it, the feel of it--everything. You are lucky to be able to go once a year. Since moving from Long Island (and then college near the beach) I have only been back to the shore a handful of times. I immediately felt peaceful and happy when I was there, though. Now, the closest we have is Lake Michigan. Just not the same.
I love the midwest....I really do. I feel I belong here--mostly--if there was only a beach, it would be perfect. :0)

deanna said...

In all fairness, I get to come here as often as I can get my heiny up to New England. Visiting a lifestyle does not make, however. Unlike you, Maryland and I just have not clicked at all. Thankfully, I at least feel like it's home to the rest of my family so I pretend to like it for them (most of the time!). Secretly, there's no place I'd rather be than Fairfield. Now everyone knows!