Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Car Rental Nightmare....

So, next week I'm heading to Savannah to help my sister out. Her husband is off to Florida on his first ever business trip. My mom is flying in on Saturday and my sister can pick her up. I, on the other hand, am landing at 11:30 PM Tuesday, when most people (with small children!) are sleeping! My brilliant plan was to rent a car, drive to my sister's, which while in Savannah is a 30 minute drive from the airport, and then have my mother drive it the next evening for her flight out at 7. It was a great plan, especially because my sister crazily has a huge party that evening, so I have to pick her kids up at daycare around 4/4:30 and I wasn't too keen on driving my mom out to the airport with two small children who eat dinner at 5 and go to bed by 7. I had sort of warned my mom about this schedule thing, but I think that was her only option or something....

Anyway, two problems. First, the cheaper car rental place we use closes at midnight! I'm not really interested in being stranded at the airport if my plane is late (very common these days!), nor am I interested in renting at the last minute from a price gouging more expensive car rental agency. Second problem, the addition driver issue. There are SO MANY requirements in order to add an additional driver. First and foremost, you must both appear at the car rental counter together. That right there defeats the purpose of my brilliant plan, which has one goal only - that my mom or sister do not have to come pick me up!! Duh. I had naively assumed my mom could just take care of all that paperwork when she arrived Saturday at the airport, but no.

There are many other requirements, but at this point they mean nothing! What's worse? I now have to rent from one of those price gouging expensive places because they are the only ones open past midnight! I hate renting cars! Too bad I can't just walk it!

No comments: