Tuesday, September 11, 2007

School, Schmool!

I think that must be what Em thinks everyday when she gets on that bus! School is like a big social networking activity. Everything else, well, it's for the birds! Back to school night was a big indicator of just that. Out of her entire class, she was the only one who did not complete her face - just didn't have time! And there's always an excuse - Mrs. P didn't give them enough time (but everyone else had a face!), C was talking to her all day - blah, blah, blah - so she couldn't concentrate (C had a face!), all my other work took forever! I just wish there was a key.... but there isn't, and if there is, I don't have it in my possession at this time. Neither does her teacher, unfortunately! You know there's trouble when the teacher has to talk to you on back to school night - I mean, that's about the last thing any teacher wants to do on THAT night!!

I guess it's time to lay down the law with this child. Oh, wait, we've already done that! Well, maybe we could actually institute consequences - have tried that as well. I'm thinking it will have to be that communication folder - oh, already have that!! What to do? It's only week three. And here I was worried because she wasn't in that top math class.... what was I thinking? She can barely finish her work in the math class she's in! Why? Not because it's hard, because it's a cinch! No, she's just busy, as she tells me, worrying about what she'll do if she gets hurt. Huh? I had no idea little kids were so preoccupied with the possibility of bodily harm. Does she mean she's worried about what her mother will do to her when she finds out she's not doing her work??

Of course, having a perfect big sister is a tough thing to live up to. Having two parents with very high expectations only adds to the anxiety. Poor thing.... it's going to be another tough year ahead for her. Thankfully, she likes recess!;-)

No comments: