Friday, September 07, 2007

A Grandmother's Legacy

One of the things that impressed me while we were in Hungary with all those missionary families was this one little girl's Bible. It was passed around by a group of girls, who were quite as impressed with it as I was. This Bible was a gift from a grandmother who served with her family and daughter (who is now serving in France) in East Asia. What was so amazing about this Bible?

Upon first glance, the Bible is quite ordinary as far as Bible's go. But upon closer inspection, you will find that each and every single page of that Bible has been highlighted and notes to a dear granddaughter written in the margins. EVERY SINGLE PAGE! It was impressive, and there was quite a buzz around dinner the evening this Bible was brought out for a "show and tell" of sorts. Those doing the showing, however, were not the owners of this rare, unique treasure, but the friends of it's owner who were clearly enthralled by it. Oh, if every little girl could have a gift so precious!

Kt and the granddaughter praying (or playing?)

I have never seen a Bible in my lifetime that was so well read, noted, passed along. Mind you, this wasn't an old Bible by any means. This was a true labor of love, crafted specifically for a beloved granddaughter in hopes that.... I don't know, someday might find the very same treasures this particular grandmother had found in all those words of God. The book was quite new looking, although I'm sure this grandmother poured hours of love into it in order to present something that expressed her true heart and soul. What an amazing gift. I was really impressed.

I'm sure my mom is reading this with a pit in her stomach, but the truth is that it is pretty likely that all grandmothers pass along something to their granddaughters in the way that best represents them. It's pretty unlikely my girls will received a Bible that has been poured over like that. I know I never did! But my girls have had the privilege of living near enough to their grandmothers to spend a lot of time with them, to experience their lives, their loves, their disappointments, struggles and friendship. Grandmothers know how to give immeasurable gifts, and they are always trying to outdo eachother! (hehe) Grandmothers are a gift, and they give good gifts because they typically take the time to get to know their granddaughters in a way parents just don't.
Sorry, Mom, it's the only one I had!
Thank goodness for Grandma's!

No comments: