Friday, September 07, 2007

Buggin' Me

I have to get this off my chest. I've broached the subject with T a number of times, but with no good conclusion. For anyone who knows my husband, it will come as no surprise that he is fully invested in developing students in many ways. A couple of tools he prefers to use to help students first understand themselves are the Myers-Briggs personality assessment (I've taken this numerous times... and it's hardly changed at all, much to my husband's dismay ;-)), and more recently, Strengthfinders, which is a tool for understanding your most active strengths created by Gallup. Neither of these tools in inherently "christian", but both are used, widely perhaps, by christian organizations. Along with these, many churches including ours have use of several versions of a "giftedness" assessment, which assesses which "gifts" have been bestowed on someone by the Holy Spirit. I don't have any idea how accurate it is, but altogether, each of these tools definitely have some positive use.

Here's my dilemma, and I'm still working on the differentiation between "personality" strengths and physical strengths. In other words, I'm open to WHATEVER insight, advice, ideas anyone may have on this line of questioning. I'm going to point to one particular scripture written by the apostle Paul, but in my mind I'm working from what I know from years of Bible stories the underlying theme that God uses our weaknesses (not our strengths) to make Himself known to others through us.

7To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." II Corinthians 12, NIV
(I copied and pasted this from www.biblegateway.com - which I LOVE! I did add the bold myself...) Anyway, this is the message that keeps popping up into my head when I read about, hear about, think about Strengthfinders. I'm not so opposed to people knowing and understanding their strengths or those of the people they work with. I happen to think that is highly beneficial to understanding why people do the things they do. I'm also not opposed to streamlining operations based on these findings. I think it's great to put people into positions where they will succeed and prosper - makes for good business. I guess my question is this:

If we limit ourselves to only the things we are good at, are we limiting what God might choose to do in our lives, how He might choose to make himself known to the world, how He might reveal his power?


It's sort of a loaded question, I know. I just worry that maybe by unraveling all the "mysteries" of our personalities to determine what direction we should take, we are slowly becoming more reliant on ourselves and not what God can do. Can God take a man with a speech impediment and make him a leader of a nation, delivering them from slavery into a land of milk and honey that was promised to them? If Moses took strengthfinders, what would he have determined about the role that God called him to? Would his pastor have blessed him in a ministry that involved public speaking, leading and representing the nation to pharaoh? I don't know.

I could go on about other examples, but really, I've just been intrigued by this idea that we can put people in the correct positions with these few assessment tools we have and based on our analysis of a team of people and all their strengths and personalities decide whether or not they will be successful. I just think that leaves little room for God to work. Maybe I'm totally wrong about this. Anyway, just a thought that's been on my mind.... aren't you glad you don't know the rest of what's on my mind! LOL

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Interesting and thought provoking. In no particular order, a couple of things come to my mind...

You mentioned 'success.' I think a whole lot depends upon how you are defining that in light of your ministry. If we are talking about a method,or 'business' (another word mentioned)-in terms of something operating to maximum efficiency-than I think those strength-finding tools play a large role in making you successful. To put a fine point on it, you are capitalizing on your gifts and marketing them accordingly. My opinion--this works like a well-oiled machine, but the missing element is listening to the Divine (rather than plotting out everything ourselves).

Second thought (and this may be too controversial to get into), but what is the goal of our ministry? Over time, I have come to see 'the call' and 'salvation' differently than I used to. Do missionaries bring God to the 'unreached?' I rather think that the Divine is within the midst of all people, and the role of the missionary is to remind us/help us see that light.

deanna said...

Yup, I agree with you from the business standpoint, it's a good operating method. From a ministry standpoint, I'm not so sure...

I think "unreached" refers to those who are spiritually, and sometimes physically, separated from the person of God and have not yet been introduced to Him. Some of what I'm saying will depend on how you define God - I happen to think there is only one true God. After being in Europe, listening to those who are reaching the "unreached" in Europe, I have a different understanding of that term than I've ever had before.

I think there is a darker spirit on earth than can only be penetrated by the light of God, which is in us. God designed us to be the vessels that He chose to carry the light. Evidence of Him can be seen in every far reach of the earth, but He chooses to be delivered through us. He asks us to go. He didn't ask any other creature on the earth to do what He asked/chose us to do, so the work of the spirit is upon us. Seeing the light and welcoming it into your soul are two very different things - and you're right, we are here to help others see it. He's the one who offers it in the person of Christ.

Thanks for taking the time to write back.... I'm still feeling like God can use us even in our weaknesses, but I'm not opposed to knowing and using my strengths!

Kathryn said...

I suspect we probably have different definitions, but our intentions come from the same spirit.

Good luck with your ponderings. :-)