Saturday, September 29, 2007

Perplexed

In reading and watching all that is transpiring in Burma, I'm completely perplexed about what can be done to help these people. I really feel like it's a humanitarian crisis, nightmare, injustice and I am one American who feels that yes, we are called as a nation promising liberty and justice for all to do something proactive about this.

I joined a facebook group and have been following closely with some stories that just aren't making it onto CNN or FOX, probably because many of them are difficult to confirm. One interesting site, however, has a chilling claim tonight - that injured protesters have been burned alive at crematoriums. Does this sound like Nazi Germany? I honestly am just having a difficult time wrapping my mind around a government who would do this to their people.

I think it's important to keep in mind while reading about these recent protests and given the history of this nation, this is not a national protest arising from higher fuel prices. There's a lot more to this - years of oppression, poverty, hopelessness, military dictatorship, disappearing villages, fleeing refugees, and it's a huge cry for help from the world. I just hope the world does not choose to ignore it!

No comments: