Friday, September 21, 2007

Cupcake Ban Hollow

Last night, we had cupcakes for T's birthday. While we were enjoying them, I said to Kt, "Do you remember when you were allowed to bring cupcakes to school for your birthday?" She replied, "Yes, but that was a LONG time ago!" I said, "Yes, it was, and your poor sister will never know what it's like to bring cupcakes for her class, and every other teacher she loves!"

Really, it is sad. It's a rite of passage in some ways, a simple pleasure afforded to kids on their one special day of the year. Kt even remembered one girl bringing in Rice Krispy Treats - HOMEMADE! She said they were HUGE! Maybe they were, for a second grader, and they were peanut free. Em will never have the chance to experience that - good thing we did that in preschool!

I also must admit, after a full year of no birthday or party treats at school, I don't notice any of the kids getting thinner. After a year of "healthier initiatives" they are still selling cookies and ice cream daily, kids can bring in their lunch boxes anything they want, neither of my girls is being taught anything about eating healthy, or at least they aren't absorbing anything if they are. I just don't see the point in denying kids that special birthday treat.

I do know of a great way to make those birthday treats even less fattening, though. I wonder if the school system would buy this idea? Once, when I was in elementary school, my mom had the brilliant idea of making my birthday cupcakes in our brand new microwave. For a busy working mom, this seemed like a great plan. It was fast, affordable, and we all enjoyed watching our new microwave oven in action, as it was prominently displayed on our kitchen table for our viewing pleasure! LOL

The next day, I brought my beautifully decorated birthday cupcakes in for my birthday. I had just enough for my class, my teacher, the principal, the janitor (who I loved! Mr. Noran!), the school secretary, the art teacher, the librarian, possibly the music teacher and gym teacher, although I don't remember much about them!. After my class had sung to me, I headed off with a friend to deliver said cupcakes. Upon my return to enjoy my own, the kids in the class were all giving me funny looks, asking if we'd forgotten something. Low and behold, each cupcake had a huge air bubble in the middle of them! I was completely mortified, but everyone really thought it was hilarious!

That's a story that's gone down in our family as a bad mommy story, but it really illustrates for me that memories are made in school with cupcakes and field trips. Who remembers the day to day seatwork, classes, lunches? Nobody, but we remember hollow cupcakes and the trip to see the Broadway play, Barnum! I'm sure my kids will have funny stories about elementary school when they grow up, I am just slightly sad that they won't involve fun parties or special birthdays. Are we just sucking all the fun out of school?

2 comments:

kimsilver said...

Our school banned birthday "treats", too. AND--they are very specific about what you are allowed to bring for a snack each day. Also--has anyone noticed that there is no longer a "snack time" during the school day? Our kids eat their snacks while working. No time for set aside snack time!!

I, too, am saddened by the kids not sharing in birthday cupcakes at school. I LOVED when it was someone's birthday.....yummy! I can't imagine that it is making much of a difference in anyone's health. I suppose it does cut out the allergy issues, though.

Now, our kids are encouraged to donate a book to the LRC, buy a game for the classroom, or bring in something small like pencils for everyone, in honor of their birthday. (Not quite the same, is it?)

deanna said...

Our school has gone one step further and there is NO SNACK to be spoken of anywhere in the building. Katie has lunch at 1:05 - no morning snack. It's a wonder those kids can think by the time they get to lunch!! I've had to force her to eat breakfast as she's not a breakfast eater and will skip it every chance she gets. She actually fell asleep during her beginning of the year reading assessment for this reason...

Our school has also "allowed" us to either send in some birthday item for each child in the class or something for the entire class. Last year, we found a cheap DVD player to send in with Katie because our school only had two and the PTA can't buy electronics. Cupcakes, in my opinion, are a much more cost effective birthday treat - wouldn't you say??