Saturday, August 04, 2007

Such a Time As This

Kt and I read Esther this morning - in it's entirety. It's one of my favorite Bible stories, along with Daniel and Ruth, and countless others. We both knew the story, but every time I read it, there's some new treasure tucked inside it. This time I found myself wondering just what was revealed to the Jews and Esther as they prayed and fasted together for 3 days. It had to be something, because Esther had a plan. A really smart plan. It's nothing I would have thought of. If the King Xerxes offered me up to half of his extravagant, powerful kingdom I might have asked for Haman's head on a platter right then and there. She didn't do that, instead the carefully crafted and executed plan went into action.

This part of the story is stark reminder to me to wait on the Lord, to follow His lead and not rush into anything. Of course, I say this as I've sent T on a wild goose chase over to the very disorganized, crazy Post Office in search of an answer to our passport dilemma. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't first pray to see if God might plant a better plan in my head. Even AFTER reading Esther! I can be so ignorant sometimes!

I must say, reading Esther also has be very excited to get my hands on Beth Moore's new study on Esther, whenever that may come out. Or even to watch that silly Veggie Tales version of the story. I'm even more excited to meet all these children in Hungary who, if they are anything like my kids, are going to be thirsty for some of God's Word. It's an amazing story, Esther is. God can use ordinary, abandoned kids to fulfill his great plan for mankind, especially when we are least expecting it!

No comments: