Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Brevity

So, the short version is this. While we were away in Hungary on a missions trip, our housesitter hosted an underage drinking party in our basement, which our underage neighbors attended.... Then they went away on vacation and another neighbor and his friends decided to have a couple fun nights in their house. Things were stolen and somehow, they are blaming it on my housesitter and her friends.

Let's keep in mind that T and I don't drink. Ever. In fact, they are all throwing around names of different kinds of beer cans that were left in various places and I've only ever heard of Bud Light - pretty sad but true. Of course, the police are involved and we know very little. Everyone is telling the part of the truth that makes them look like the good guy and nobody is fessing up to anything felonious.

Have I mentioned how much I need a vacation?

This all brings to light a couple of thoughts for me. First, that suburban American kids need purpose in life because this apathetic boredom is creating misdirected felons. Second, where are parents these days? I don't want my kids to end up like this, and I certainly don't want to be the parents who tries to explain my own children's illegal behavior away so they don't ever get in trouble. Third, what is God trying to communicate to me, having this happen just this way? I did not need this upon returning, but here it is. Maybe it's this: educate myself and communicate to kids just how impactful their unwise choices will be on those around them. Also, make sure my kids have a bigger picture in mind so they don't need to spend endless amounts of time drinking themselves into oblivion because they have nothing better to do with their lives.

OK - party over.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

How awful. I would freak if teenagers had a drinking party in my house!