Monday, August 20, 2007

Lists

I'm a list person, although I've outgrown making endless written lists of everything. Instead, I try to make my feeble mind retain my plethora of organized data. It's quite a task, especially when I am trying to process a cultural, missional, familial experience into something that can be communicated specifically for others who have no idea what I'm thinking! I'll give it a try here, but my guess is that I'll be frequently editing and categorizing this post, so bear with me!

Things I take for granted:
- lemonade: this lucious, refreshing drink is completely absent from the European menu. I did find that Citron Fanta somewhat quenched my longing, but even that was difficult to come by!
- square footage of living space: why we think we need bigger houses when families of 4-6 are living in less than 1000 square feet AND are happy is beyond me, but I know now that I don't appreciate my large house nearly enough.
- English: it's quite embarrassing that we only know English and just expect that we can find someone wherever we go who does as well.... we should learn more languages here!
- Variety: I find it difficult to choose when I have so many things to choose from. But having little or no choice is something I hadn't really considered until one morning when the only juice left was "multivitamin" - and that's what we had for about three days in a row.... I like choices.
- friends: I'm not sure why, but I tend to feel like I don't have any. Then I meet people who really feel isolated and friendless.... so now I know, I have friends.
- citizenship: being in America, traveling freely around the states, I forget that I actually belong to a country and have access to millions of acres of fun and I don't even need a passport to get there!
- cars: they make life so convenient, and I can't imagine how my world might close in around me if I didn't have a car to get me out. Of course, walking would do me some good as well!
- air conditioning and dehumidifiers: there wasn't one day that I didn't feel a dampness around me. That was probably one of my biggest adjustments.

Things I will miss about Europe:
- cleanliness: we are filthy here. It's quite pathetic. I'm sure there are messy places somewhere in Europe, I just didn't see any of them!
- outdoor cafes: they create atmosphere, community and just a fun place to congregate. They are also great for people watchers!
- history: everywhere you go, there are old town areas that are just incredible. Narrow cobblestone alleyways, Roman wall remains, small buildings, fountains, town centers and I would constantly find myself envisioning the sounds and sights of hundreds of years ago - horses, carriages, long flowing dresses, top hats, smoke filled streets.... it was easier to be transported to way back when.
- passport stamps: it's a reminder that different countries and cultures are so close together, just a hop, skip and jump apart.
- flowers: they were everywhere, but I most loved them in window boxes, which were everywhere. It was so colorful, fragrant and gave life to even the starkest of gray stone buildings.
- beautiful accents: I was mesmerized by Europeans who spoke in such eloquent, twisted English. They could have lulled me to sleep with their beautiful accents.
- markets: fresh fruit, fresh flowers, fresh meat.... so colorful, tasty looking and such variety. I wish I had a fresh market within walking distance of my house!
- clean bathrooms: Katie was the first to notice - not one toilet was left unflushed and most of the bathrooms were spotless.
- creative communication: on some occasions we had to be a little creative to convey our question or message. It's nice that some things, like numbers, are universal.
- smiles: when a European smiles at an American, you know you've done something right. It's one of the warmest things I've ever felt, very genuine and very authentic.

Things I learned about Americans:
- we're rude: about the only polite things Americans do that Europeans don't is wait our turn in line. Otherwise, we are plagued by entitlement, thinking we deserve something from everyone. We need to get over ourselves!
- we're dirty: after an evening at the mall, I'm pretty appalled at how disgustingly dirty Americans are. We leave tables looking trashed, garbage everywhere, bathrooms that stink with paper towels everywhere and toilets... well, you know what I mean. It's just downright filthy!
- we like to talk the talk, but not walk the walk: Americans talk too much and take little action. Meeting all those CA families made me realize that it's only a small percentage of Americans who are willing to actually give up the comforts we have to reach a world of unreached people who are thirsty for God.
- we are arrogant: we choose to only know English, think everything American is the best, believe that others want to hear us be silly (we're too loud!), have little respect for history and it's monuments (I'm throwing this one in for TTS), are easily frustrated when people don't respect us.

I'll stop here - I know there are more lists, categories, data entries, but for now I'll just have to take a break while I organize it all in the cerebral hemisphere.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I really like this post...so many points I totally agree with! :-)