Sunday, August 26, 2007

Building Student Leaders

I guess Space is all about building leaders. It's something T has a passion for, and combined with his passion for world missions it is what has kept us in our suburban church, pulling out kids in within our sphere of influence who show an interest in those same two things. We totally hit the jackpot this summer, or at least it appears that way so far. Of course, I hadn't planned on the jackpot being so close to home....

A couple of team members, my husband included, have been attempting to hit every continent as far as a visit is concerned. It's sort of a running joke, because for T the ones he's missing are Australia (which has always been a dream of mine to visit) and Antarctica, which I could totally skip altogether - I'm just not a snow and ice person at all! Of course, in all our ramblings on this subject, our oldest daughter has apparently developed her own ideas about where she wants to go. Here's what she told me on our bus ride out of Sopron:

Kt: I really want to go on more missions trips.

Me: I'm glad you liked this one.

Kt: But I don't want to go on one just because I want to visit a continent. I want to go where God can use me.

Me: Well, that's a good reason to go. Why don't you tell your dad that?


Of course, just the fact that she put these two completely separate ideas together on her own was in itself scary, it's a reminder to T and I that much of what we're doing, what we say and how we "joke around" will be interpreted by our own children in the context of what we are doing at the time. We don't plan our missions trips based on what continent they are in, but I guess we ought to be making that a bit more clear to our nearest and dearest (sorry space kids!;-)) up and coming leader, who happens to live in the International Office of Space.

I will be totally honest. The fact that this is what goes on in our house has not escaped my understanding that our children will be impacted in ways we cannot fathom. Especially Kt, who is constantly processing even the smallest of events in the context of her faith. I have often wondered what kind of plan has been in store for my kids knowing where God has placed them in life - with two crazy people! After this summer, I can't wait to read those daily journal entries they start writing for school. Those have been our most telling sources of what happens in the mind of our children!

No comments: