Friday, August 24, 2007

School Supplies

Each year, I think to myself while on our long, arduous school supply gathering journey, "College can't be much more expensive than this! Can it?" Of course, I'm exaggerating, but here's what we've had to purchase for school this year (and I'm so thankful they have taken off the ream of paper for each child they have always suggested!):

4 boxes of Giant Food Brand Ultra Softcloths Baby Wipes, 100 count
1 box gallon size ZIPLOC brand plastic storage bags
1 box quart size ZIPLOC brand plastic storage bags
Crayola Crayons - 16 count
Crayola Crayons - 2 boxes 24 count
Index Cards - 3x5
Box of 8 basic colored pencils
2 Sturdy CLOTH school pouch for pencils
2 Pocket folders, just pockets
8 Pocket folders, with 3 prongs
2 pair sturdy scissors, Fiskars work best
4 LARGE boxes of tissues, Puff Plus preferred
2 packages unscented 4 dry erase markers, dark colors, NO NEON
12" wooden ruler
Yellow Highlighter
Pack of 8 washable markers
Black fine point Sharpie Marker
3 blue ball point pens for checking
90 sharpened #2 pencils (30 unlabeled for Emily, 60 labeled for Katie - I totally messed up)
3 pencil erasers
6 black marble composition notebooks (can't find these anywhere....oops! that's what we get for going to Europe!)
1 package, loose-leaf, wide ruled, 200 count
7 single subject spiral notebooks, not multi-subject
pack of 5 subject dividers for binder
2 3x3 sticky notes
1" binder
14 Large .88 oz Extra strength glue sticks (can't find these anywhere....)
mini pencil sharpener with shavings collector
2 $15 checks made payable to school to cover the cost of magazine subscriptions, homework planner, folder, spelling handbooks, and special class projects


It's a pretty detailed list we get and this year I just can't seem to keep it all straight. So... first grade will have one batch of pencils labeled with Em's name because I thought Kt's were the ones that were NOT to be labeled. Now I have to sit down and write her name of 60 pencils.... I wonder if all our tax money is just not enough??

Mind you, we still get notes during the year asking to replenish the kids school supplies. I can't imagine this would be necessary given the amount of supplies I'm sending in, but maybe I'm just naive about education or something. I've totally cheated on this list.... so now we're off to meet our teachers, drop off these supplies and get lectured on how we messed up. Yay!

2 comments:

megan said...

This list reminds me of last year! It took 3 trips and about 6 hours because the list was all in french. By the time I looked up each thing in the dictionary and then found it, I had spent about 10 minutes per item. I think I said bad words, and I left the store after the first round and cried for 20 minutes. This year-30 minutes-no problem!

deanna said...

Yes, bad words would have had a place for me in that situation as well... not to mention bad French words that probably would have amounted to me bringing home many things that were not on that list but might have sounded like things on that list. I can hear it now, "No, mom, that means 24 pencils, not 24 crayons!" And tears... well, if I'm crying here I'd certainly be crying there!