Sunday, August 26, 2007

Big Plans


There is only one person in this house who has big plans, and it's not me. I'm actually going through a sort of depression over sending my kids off for another year of school without having had a family vacation this summer. I knew when we made the commitment to go to Hungary that we'd have to give that up, I just never realized how difficult that would make returning to school. I'm just not ready.

Kt has some serious plans, however, and has asked me about them every single day since we've come home. She is determined to return to Hungary next summer for the very same conference. She is insistent and has asked me every single day to promise her that we will let her go back next year. Now, every day I've explained to her that the chance of us returning next year are slim. It's expensive, we have not been invited, we don't know what kind of a team we'll have, and I'm not even sure we'll be going anywhere as a family next year.... Even with all my explanations, she insists on bringing this up every single day!

Today, as we left church, she said to me, "Mommy, is it all right for me to go back next year to Hungary? Will you let me go?" By this time, I'm just rolling my eyes, trying not to get all mad at her, and I basically said all the same things..... Then she said, "Well, Caroline, McKenna and Olivia all invited me to come back, so I'm invited. And Miss Kelly said she would stop here on the way to Hungary to pick me up!" Man, this girl is just completely intent on getting back to Hungary.

The truth is, I couldn't have asked for a better experience for Kt this summer. To her, it was almost better than one of my Disney dream vacations. She met people who will have a lasting impact on her life, she did something with a bigger purpose than laying on a beach, she learned that the world is different outside of the confines of the U.S. and she has a heart that wants to go. I'm not really sure what to do about it, but it is what it is. She will never be happy to sit at home and watch the world happen around her. She will always want to be a participant.

As for Em, we have a little more groundwork to lay. We skipped the boot camp experience with her this summer. Her journey is taking a different turn. She is still processing what happened, and while her plans don't seem as grand now, she does talk about Hungary to perfect strangers wherever we go, so I know it's on her mind. She might actually be happy to join me at Cinderella's Castle.... but not for long. And she prayed for Trev tonight (which I'm sure is extended to the whole team) that he would be able to tell everyone at school tomorrow all about Hungary. Good luck, team, and happy first day of school!

No comments: