Monday, August 20, 2007

Questions

We're back, safe and sound, and just processing all that's happened while we were away. We arrived to our house looking different (I'm not so happy about that), our housesitter having had some neighborhood issues (I'm not so surprised about that!) and our neighborhood being in an upheaval about an apparent break-in. Welcome home!

On one of our last nights in Sopron, Kt asked me this question:

You know how sometimes you don't know someone's last name, or their favorite color or even hardly anything about them, but you can still be like almost their best friend?


Altogether, this experience as a family will be one of my favorites. It wasn't without it's challenges, it's ups and downs and scary moments, but it was by far the most amazing way to introduce my own children to life outside the United States. Being around "3rd culture kids" for a week, building relationships, loving on families who are serving in some of the most darkest places in Europe and doing it in a safe environment was just amazing. When your kids are begging to go back next year, you know you've hit the jackpot!

Now we're back and trying to process just what happened here. It just reminds me that life goes on even when it feels like it should stop for us! Do I get upset when the front posts on my porch look dorky and I just paid hundreds of dollars for that?? I do. But does it really matter in life? Probably not. I'll just try not to look at them everyday when I pull up to my house.... 100 times a day! I guess we still haven't learned that lesson - don't have major work done on your house when you are going to be thousands of miles away. Once again, a lesson gone unlearned by the Sheng house! So, I wonder what will happen at our house next summer while we're away!;-)

(And it's so nice to have blogger back in English - not hungarian!)

No comments: