Sunday, August 26, 2007

International Office Of Space

That's what we call this place. It's kind of a joke, but it's also kind of true. I mean, it's really like an office. I'm the receptionist, event planner, cleaner (although not really.... if you've ever been here, you know what I mean!), caterer, counselor, and I basically hold down the fort. I should be heading out to church soon, although my 9 year old sounds like she has croup. Here are some recent conversations with the President of our company.

Pres: The N's are coming over Sunday at 3.

Me: What do you want me to have?

Pres: I don't know.

Me: How many people are coming to see them?

Pres: I don't know.

Me: Are we having snacks or a meal?

Pres: I don't know. How about brownies or something?

Me: OK, so we'll clean the house up on Saturday.

Pres: OK. But I'm going to be away all day. How about I clean it up on Sunday? And I'll go get drinks and snacks.

Me: Uh, OK. But what about that old TV stand that's in the foyer that's been there since January. I told you no more events at the office until that thing is gone and this is about the 10th event....

Pres: Oh, right. I can take that to Goodwill tomorrow after church.

Me: (rolling my eyes, because after 8 months of hearing the same thing, I deserve to be able to do that) Right.... and clean the house, buy snacks....

This morning, day of event, after I spend all day yesterday trying to get ready, of course it doesn't look like I've done anything!

Pres: Did I happen to mention to you that I am speaking at Light Company this morning?

Me: Well, you did just now!

Pres: Oh, right. Well, I probably shouldn't be, but I'm speaking this morning.

Me: OK, well see you at "our" event this afternoon!



In case you don't know, our office is our house. Our president isn't very tidy, neither are his kids, and most of their mess goes unnoticed by them. It doesn't go unnoticed by me or the hundreds of guests they invite to the premises on a daily basis. I think it might be time to hire someone to clean up after them because I'm not really interested in that job anymore!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You have officially become your mom!

deanna said...

That, mommy, is very old news!

tony sheng said...

aaaw...
she called me "The President!"
:-)

deanna said...

Yes, and now everyone knows that even a president can end up sleeping in the doghouse!