Monday, January 15, 2007

Sanitation Workers

In our county, we only have trash pick-up one day a week and recycling one day. Recycling is not required, thank goodness!! At my mom's in Connecticut, the recycling/garbage pick-up people have a thing going where they put these HUGE orange stickers on your cans if you recycle something that isn't clean or correct and a HUGE orange sticker if you throw away something recyclable. It's outrageous!

Here, there are some fairly strict guidelines about how to recycle, such as the exact measurements that you need to cut cardboard before it will be picked up. The recycle guys are so picky about the kinds of bags you use, the size of items that it is just way too tempting to forget it and throw it away, especially if your garbage men are PHENOMENAL about taking just about anything. There has been almost nothing left behind by these amazing guys.

So, as you may have already read, we had a little sewage backup last night and had to dispose of some pretty stinky boxes. In fact, in our basement T had been collecting, for about 4 years, boxes in a large treadmill box in our basement. Don't ask me why - I've wanted it out of that basement for years. Instead, he's always complaining to me about my junk!! Anyway, last night he finally got that box out the door, and out to the curb. I noticed it as I was running to my neighbor's house to use their bathroom and my thought was, "They'll NEVER take that! It stinks, it's too big and by morning, it will be not only saturated with sewage but with rain!"

Well, this morning proved me wrong. It was gone, along with the extra bags of garbage and about 6 other boxes we left out by the curb, wreaking of sewage. I'm actually embarrassed! I don't think we realize how lucky we are, and we certainly don't thank those guys enough. Maybe next week we can think of some way to thank them - hmmm.... at about 6 am! EEK! But it'll be worth it!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a NY City garbage collector and saw your post. Really appreciate the kind words - we sanitation workers work very hard (it's not easy to collect 10 tons of trash each day) and get little thanks for it.

Trust me, those boxes - even if they are quite large - and extra bags are no match for the truck. Assume you've seen the garbage trucks working before...

deanna said...

Well, a really big THANK YOU! to you! You really have one of the most difficult jobs around - especially in NYC! We've seen them working occasionally and are very thankful that they have never left a piece of our garbage on the curb - they are truly awesome! So, any good ideas about what I can do for these guys as a thank you??

Anonymous said...

A cup of coffee, a bagel and a smile could do the trick.

We had a 35 year old or so woman a year or so ago standing outside her brownstone with a lot of furniture and hot cups of coffee. It was very nice of her and she got a kick out of watching her stuff going into the truck - even asked if she could press the lever on the truck when we put one of her couches in.

What have you seen the truck do to all that trash that we throw in when the back fills and we press the lever?

deanna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
deanna said...

I don't know that I've ever watched, although I have seen large objects "disappear" in the back of those trucks! Coffee, bagels, and a smile - I think we can do that! Thanks for the tip!! I hope more New Yorkers choose to appreciate the work you do - too often we all take it for granted.

Since we don't drink coffee (oops), dunkin' donuts or starbucks??

Anonymous said...

Dunkin' works just fine. Never seen the truck crush and compact everything?

deanna said...

I haven't, but I get this feeling like I've missed something, so I might have to make myself available to watch! Dunkin' Donuts it is! I'll be sure to tell them you sent me out to watch... hehe!

Anonymous said...

:) Can be something to see...you'd be surprised but a lot of women stop to watch it.

deanna said...

Hahaha... now that is surprising!:-O No kidding... must be an urban thing! I think if I were to step out of my house at that early hour, they would be more scared of me than what I leave at my curb!!