Saturday, January 06, 2007

Recap of my week

All week, I've thought of a bunch of things to blog about, but for one reason or another I just didn't. I was going to write about the New Year, about an old friend, about another friend, about my headache that wouldn't go away for three days (T got it later, so at least I knew I wasn't crazy!), about stuff driving me crazy at Em's school, about her upcoming birthday, about Kt's new "boyfriend", about all the things you should NOT send to school in a preschooler's lunchbox (Go-gurt, yogurt and overly watered down fruit cups at the top of that list - oh, and chocolate pudding, which is worse when you forget to send the spoon!), but all those things ended up in my mind. Floating around and then disappearing into thin (gray matter) air. It was really just one of those weeks.

To end my very blah week, I had to spend the NICEST day of January (temps were around 70, it was sunny, gorgeous!) inside at a scrapbook day. Not really where I wanted to be, but I've said no so many times now, I felt like I couldn't get out of this one. There I sat, bored, not much to do, just anticipating and evening out with T. We had reservations at The Melting Pot, before which we had planned to go furniture shopping FINALLY! for some real bedroom furniture for Em. A lot of our furniture is hand-me-down. We bought Kt a bedroom set when Em was born at The Room Store - more like The MDF Store. It's totally cheap and falling apart. Em, on the other hand, has totally mismatched bureaus that are too small and the fronts of the drawers on one chest constantly fall off. In fact, one drawer does not even have a front anymore. It's embarrassing, to say the least. I mean, we can certainly afford to buy her a normal dresser, but for various reasons that has not happened.

I spent all last night shopping online, Craigslist(now THAT is an experience!), ebay and didn't find anything but was able to get a pretty good idea of what I was looking for and what price range. I couldn't have been more prepared. Shop, eat and relax - NO KIDS!! I raced home from my scrapbook day just as things were finally picking up for me, got home and waited.... and waited.... our babysitter never showed up! You know, my mind was not prepared for the possibility of not having a babysitter. She is one of our most reliable babysitters ever - but she decided to go to a movie with her mom instead. Brain freeze moment - see, I knew college finals were detrimental to our health!! So....

Plan X was set in motion. First, we needed food. So, after we calmed down the girls (they threw a total fit at our not even bothering at 6:30 on a Saturday night to find another available babysitter!), and after I convinced T that furniture shopping for a birthday present with my children present was not going to happen!, we got into the truck and were headed for Target. We decided to get a birthday present for a party tomorrow, go to UNO's. UNO's was packed, 30 minute wait AND the girls BOTH fell asleep in the car on the way. THIS is why we don't take our kids out on a date!!

Our evening: McDonald's drive through, eat in the car, I run into Target.... shop by myself (that part I did not mind) and return home. The girls got their PJ's on, made popcorn and are watching a movie, I made bellybuttons because I needed some MAJOR comfort food after today and T went to get us a movie for later and is now painting (the 10th coat) a desk out in our garage. And here I am, writing this to you, whoever is bored enough to care to read this on a Saturday night!! LOL

I guess Em will have to have a birthday without a big gift - she probably won't even remember anyway (I'm saying that so I don't feel so guilty!). She's having a rough time of it lately in kindergarten. I think she still loves school, but kindergarten these days is no fun anymore. I can honestly say that there is not one thing about full day kindergarten that I like better than half day - I see no benefit and if anything, it's been much more difficult than half day on our family. Maybe for her birthday I should just give Em what she wants - to be homeschooled.... OK, let's not go there. Not today anyway!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What are bellybuttons? And next time you need a sitter please feel free to call no matter what time it is, if I am available I'd love to hang with your special girls :)!