Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Ringing in the New Year with a bit of history...

We had a quiet New Year's Eve at our house this year. After a LONG trip home from Savannah, I think it was a great idea! On our journey home, we discovered that Kt is likely allergic to penicillin. This discovery was made at 3 am in our hotel room, when Kt woke us up with hives on her hands and feet and a few stray one around her mouth. I didn't sleep the rest of the night, worried that she had hand-foot-mouth disease - ewwww! In the morning, it was obvious that this was more than that, as she was covered with extremely itchy hives everywhere, some of them turning into blisters. We called the doc, got her on some benadryl and headed home.... poor thing!

After she was feeling much better on Sunday, T took the girls to see Night at the Museum, and they both LOVED it! I know that movie hasn't gotten the best reviews and I'm not even sure T was that impressed with it, but if kids are any indication of how well a movie will do, my kids both gave it a thumbs up. As a parent, having not seen it but the result of it, I'd have to agree. Kt came home and went straight upstairs to research Sacagawea. She quickly put together a binder of information and has become our resident expert on this woman. If only she had been as interested in her pre-Christmas school project!!

We did stay up to see the ball drop in NYC. Em fell asleep promptly at midnight and today was looking a bit shell-shocked on the school bus. She was unfortunately not looking forward to returning to school. It's so sad when kids don't like kindergarten!! That's supposed to be the fun year of school! I've given her a day off of her behavior chart - I think we both need a day where her teacher can't complain about her. Poor thing.

So, here we are. 2007. It's always strange when you have school because it doesn't really feel like a new year. I feel overcommitted, stressed and wishing it were vacation again.... not the best way to have a new beginning. I kind of wish the new year would start in June, just as school is getting out, when the summer is just beginning and we are gearing up for some fun. Instead, I'm feeling like hibernating!

Happy New Year, to all you polar bears out there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Judah loved Night at the Museum also. I loved that it got him interested in history ... until he started stretching his new puppy by her hind legs. I asked why and he said because that's what Atilla the Hun did in the movie.