Wednesday, January 31, 2007

More about My Uncle...

I've gotten a couple emails today, but I'll just include in this post the funny, the amazing and the needs!!

First, the funny, from Alisa, my cousin:

There are some funny stories too that I need to try to remember.
One is that Dad has been a vegetarian forever yet my Mom found 2 cans of Dinty Moore Beef Stew and 1 can of Beef Ravioli in the cupboard. We were laughing so much when we found that on Monday night. My Dad buys a lot of his own food but never anything with meat. We really think that he was probably forgetting a few little things like that over the last few weeks. Also, he never eats dairy products but in the hospital he was eating some cheese that my Aunt had brought for my Mom. I don't think he remembers some of these little things. And, my Mom and Aunt found it funny that my Dad was watching Fox News lately which he never ever watches.

I just have this sneaking suspicion that if my uncle knew about that Fox News part, he'd hit the ceiling!!

Now, the amazing, from "Aunt Denise", who is Marie's sister whose husband passed away suddenly last year. She (I'm taking it!) is in the medical profession, possibly a therapist, who works part time and has been at Dave and Marie's side from the start. What an amazing help, but here is what she had to say:

Your dad was soooo much better today. Not only was his speech better and voice strong but he was up to the bathroom on his own. He walked well without a walker or assistance. He was much more erect. Not favoring his right side. Sat upright at the table to eat.
Your mom is doing a phenomanal job. She is very patient with him but clear and direct, and when I was feeling pretty tired from the events of the past few days, she was animatedly helping him thru face exercises and actually making it look fun.

And now the need. Here is just brief picture of what life is like now for two people who are extremely independent, active and mobile:

After you left I heard a loud noise and knew Dave had fallen. He was on his back and he had hit his head on the metalbar of his office chair. He was ok. He had grabbed for the walker and it moved forward and he went down. I knew I was not calling the paramedics. So we tried several ways to get him up and after about 10-15 minutes I said we have to get help from that guardian angel. So I spoke forcefully to the angel and Dave got the idea to grab for the handle on his closet door and balance his other hand on the wooden chair I had set out. I pushed and he pulled and we got him up on the chair and then on his feet. I told him not to get up again unless he called me first so we could devise a plan together on how to best exit the recliner. Now we have a plan and he can get himself up and seems to be able to walk to the bathroom holding onto various items along the way for support. Thank GOD for that guardian angel. I am sure that will not be the only time we need his help.
That one is really from yesterday, but I thought it was a good example of what they are going through. I'm so glad to hear today that he has made tremendous improvements over the past 24 hours. In many ways, it's like recovering from a stroke.

Today was the pre-op appointment, so hopefully we'll hear more about that later. Much of what they are going through brings back memories of when my parents went through a similar experience with my dad's lymphoma. It's different, but many of the emotions are the same. Unless you have been through it, it is nearly impossible to explain!!

Thanks, once again, for your prayers!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

D,
So sorry to hear about your uncle's condition. We are thinking of you all.
Love,
-k

deanna said...

Thanks - we are all praying for a good outcome. It's very shocking and a huge adjustment for them. I am so thankful that we made the trip out to visit them this summer.

Thanks, again!!
d