Friday, January 26, 2007

Food Allergy Parents: 4, Me: 0

It has happened again.... and this time, I actually said something. We are having our 4th kindergarten activity day, a Valentine's party. Last week, I received three notices about this party, one addressed to the room mom's (that's me and my neighbor), one about the party and another listing all the students. Today, I received two notices. One was addressed to the parents in our room about the party and the second was a small slip of paper announcing that kindergarten students are not allowed to bring in "candy" valentines. Period. The reason stated was food allergies.

Now, the Halloween activity day was a bit traumatic, as our jack-o-lantern magnets that Em and I made for her classmates were not even allowed passed out - no food involved. The Thanksgiving activity day - well, we skipped that one. For "Christmas", or Market Day, there was nothing food related other than the eggless, peanut free gingerbread cookies, which my daughter loved. For Valentine's Day, however, in all the previous notes sent in, I knew that there were activities planned, a sugar cookie and juice box for snack (parents of students with allergies were asked to send in an alternative treat) and Valentine's would be exchanged.

Maybe I'm naive, or just too trusting, but I went ahead and purchased two allergy safe treats - Kissables and Nerds - for the girls to give to their friends. Since we will be away the week before Valentine's Day I wanted to get these finished before we left so I didn't have to think about them when we returned. In fact, Em got started on her cards last night - fortunately, they are foam cards I bought to go with the treat, because....

that note. I mean, I'm sort of annoyed by this! I'll give them Halloween, no one needs extra candy. I'll even give them Thanksgiving and Christmas, but Valentine's Day??? Chocolate, conversation hearts, red dots... that's just a part of the holiday! If the real reason for this ban is food allergies, then why not send a list home of safe treats?? Mine was safe, and I'm sure other people can locate safe treats. In reality, though, I know that the complaint isn't really about allergies, it's about sugar, and the belief of some that children should never have it.

So, now I'm in a bind. I have one daughter who can bring her treat, one who can't, I have valentine treats that I can't save until next year (Yuck!!) and will have to find someone to unload them on. I don't feel like eating tons of boxes of Nerds!! While the food allergy issue does bother me (because most of the parents of children with food allergies have told me it's "no big deal"), I would have liked this decision made before they sent home 4 notices, none of which even address the issue of candy valentines. At this point, I think it's unfair to change that. Of course, for me, Valentine's day is in a little over a week. I'm sure most parents have not even thought about valentines and have not yet purchased anything.

And for real, if you ask parents of students with allergies to send in a safe cookie without batting an eye, then what's the big deal about the candy???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have three students with food allergies and their moms have all sent in a safe snack for them to have at our parties. This is a fact of life and it is too bad that your kindergarten parents have to spoil holiday parties for the majority! Schools are political grounds and your principal and teachers must be afraid of these parents. It is so sad!

deanna said...

I agree! It doesn't educate about food allergies to eliminate treats altogether. I really think it's just the easy way out for the teacher who cannot deal with the parents - the head teacher, who for my older daughter's kindergarten experience just went and cancelled the entire party!! I'm so glad it didn't come to that this time around.