Thursday, January 18, 2007

A Little More Recess in Our Lives!!

I made it in for the last part of Kt's lunch today. She begged me to stay for 5 minutes of recess and how could I resist? I mean, as a kid recess is a staple of life!! I can remember dreaming about recess while staring out the window with my pencil tapping on my head, the "fake thinking" stance. The monkey bars, dodgeball, kickball, hopscotch, just hanging out with friends, flirting with the boys... it all happened at recess. It was the best time of the day, especially after being cooped up inside all day.

So, out we went and off Kt went. I was left to chat with the Instructional Assistant/Recess Duty person about how freezing cold it is, how much these kids needed to get out and how my daughter was totally ignoring me. We then noticed that just by her a small group of kids were forming with two long jumpropes making an extremely feeble attempt to double dutch. I loved double dutch jumproping in elementary school. The reading teacher had taught us in an after school club, the same one where we learned to unicycle and juggle. So, I ran over to try to teach them a bit about double dutch.

It was after about 20 minutes of straight twirling that I realized if every adult American took 30 minutes each day to join a group of third graders on the nearest school playground, we could quit spending so much money on Bally, Gold's Gym and the YMCA!! I mean, what a workout!! We never did get anyone jumping, but I have to admit, I'm more inclined to go in for recess after that. I actually enjoyed myself. Unlike the recess attendants, who have to keep their eyes on all the kids, I was able to focus on one thing and have fun. I really enjoyed that.

Now my arms are quite limp, I'm pretty tired out (I had just returned from Curves before going!) and now I'm adding to my list of things to do going to the hardware store and picking up appropriate rope for making better double dutch ropes. Those poor kids were using those ropes of little plastic beads, the kind that leave big red welts when they hit you in the face! Talk about being a bit timid about just jumping right in!!

The only other workout I can think of that might be more challenging is digging up our front lawn. That will be starting next week. Bad news in the sewer pipe. The word is "so many roots we can't get the camera down the pipe". I'm not liking what I hear!! And it goes under our driveway..... EEK!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to love jump roping at recess! Good luck with the roots...maybe they'll dissolve over night????