Tuesday, January 30, 2007

My Uncle

Here are a couple posts I am copying and pasting from myspace that my cousin wrote. Again, please keep this family in your prayers. I can remember getting devastating news over and over about my dad. It's just not the kind of news you want to hear:

My Dad Update
Category: Life

My mom started noticing my Dad's weird behaviors on Friday and Saturday - Jan 26th/27th. My mom said that my Dad couldn't figure out which day of the week it was. He was getting dressed for Church on Friday. He seemed disoriented several times and he told my mom that he was confused about certain things. On Saturday, he thought that he had a massage appt at 10am and his massage therapist said his appt wasn't until Wednesday. His massage therapist said that he could come back at noon on Saturday. My Dad never showed up. At 4:30, my Dad calls my Mom from the library to say that the car had been towed by AAA because it wouldn't start but he couldn't remember where it was towed or where he ate lunch on Saturday. My Mom went to pick him up at the library. Later, my Mom found the car at the local drugstore. He had become completely disoriented. My Dad had several interactions with other people including his massage therapist on Saturday and they all agreed that he was confused and disoriented.

My Mom decided to take him to the ER at Torrance Memorial Hospital. We weren't sure if he had a stroke or dementia or alzheimers or other concerns. The doctors immediately started running some tests on my Dad including x-rays, MRI, CT scan and other exams for stroke, etc. Within 2 hours, the doctor told my Mom and Dad that my Dad had a massive brain tumor in the frontal lobe of his brain and the treatments may include surgery, radiation and/or chemotherapy.

The doctors gave my Dad some steroids to reduce the pressure on his brain from this massive brain tumor. Fortunately, this must have worked really well.

I visited my Dad at the hospital today (Sunday) for almost 4 hours and he was in very good spirits and mostly seemed like "himself". He was making a ton of jokes and seemed very sharp. I only noticed a few differences with his memory and mannerisms. They are still completing some scans today so we expect to hear the recommendations for treatment tomorrow. They doctors are also checking to see if there is any cancer on his lungs or if the tumor is contained in his brain. My Dad had salivary gland 10+ years ago and this tumor could potentially be related to his cancer from years ago.

Please keep my Dad in your thoughts and prayers. This will be an especially difficult time for my Mom and Dad. Fortunately, my Mom is a very strong woman and a tremendous help to my father. I will, of course, be there for both of them as well. I should have more information tomorrow.

And this, today:

Diagnosis and Treatment
Category: Life

I just returned from visiting my Dad, Mom and Aunt. I have had a whirlwind of emotions in the last 48 hours. Very tough day for me.....

I will try to relay the story as best as I can..... The doctor explained to my Mom and Aunt today that my Dad's brain tumor is cancer (not related at all to his previous cancer from 10 years ago) and has "legs" and they will only be able to remove 50-60% of the tumor. The surgery is scheduled for next Wednesday. It seems that my Dad will have to have 24 hour care as he has some problems walking and can't fully take care of himself at this time. He won't be able to drive anymore. Without surgery, he may only have a few months to live. With surgery, my Dad's quality of life will improve and he may survive for another year or so.... Radiation may also be an option after the surgery. The doctors will assess this after the surgery. Evidently, chemotherapy "tablets" will be inserted into his brain during the surgery but the doctor does not recommend any other chemo treatments.

When I visited my Dad today, he was very tired (could be from many things including medications and his tumor of course) but he is able to have short conversations and answer questions. He doesn't remember time very well. He told his doctor that he had cancer 1 year ago (really it was 10). He doesn't remember which day it is or which day he did certain things, etc.

On a positive note, my Dad lived a FULL life. Now, he is 67. After he recovered from cancer 10 years ago, he retired early and truly enjoyed life including his many walks on the beach and lunches overlooking the water plus his many many travel adventures with my mother.

Your positive energy and prayers are appreciated! I will try to keep you updated on the progress and any new information....

Wishing everyone a BEAUTIFUL day!!!

Love, Alisa

For those who do not know, my uncle is a christian boarding school, Wheaton College, Fuller Seminary educated man who discovered during a seminary class that he really didn't believe in many aspects of the Bible, including that Jesus is the only way to heaven. He is quite open to spiritual discussion (loves debate!), visited Erwin McManus' Mosaic church in LA with us this past summer and was just beginning to wrap his mind around the idea that church is just not what it used to be 40 years ago. T really connected with him while we were out there, even visiting his universal church with him - very interesting experience. Of course we'll pray for healing, for a miracle, but more important clarity of mind for the truth that has been presented. God has been gracious with my uncle.

No comments: