Tuesday, February 07, 2006

We've Created a Monster!

A praise monster, that is! Kt came home Sunday with a little card asking if we would support her interest in singing on stage in the KidZone at church. She is SOOO excited to do this and I think it might be fun for her. It actually couldn't have come at a better time, as I've been really questioning the whole big church thing lately. I am reminded that one of the reasons we liked Grace was because of it's undying commitment to the spiritual development of children/youth. Not that the adults aren't important, but it's the feeling that we are working together to raise up a new generation of believers that attracts me to this body.

Tonight I emailed the woman in charge and proceeded to print out all the songs with motions. When I was about half way through the list Kt came in. As soon as she saw what I was doing she would peer over my shoulder, read the first couple of lines and then break out into full song and dance. By the time we got to a song called "Upside Down" I could hardly keep from laughing. Kt was jumping around the room, singing at the top of her lungs and finally just giddy with excitement. I wondered to myself, "If this the 'self-control' issue her teacher is having at school?" This child is bursting with pent up energy and I'm hoping I've found a way to unleash it productively.

I will admit, I'm a little apprehensive about this, too. I really want to instill the idea of worship in my daughter - not just fun. I want to make sure she understands what she is singing and to whom. There is also the issue of, uh hmm, singing off key. Hopefully they can address that one with her. I asked her if she would be on a microphone, she said no, I felt a little better! There's nothing worse than an 8 year old thinking they are awesome only to be told by their peers that... well, they should do something else! We have addressed this with her, but clearly she is just overjoyed to be given this opportunity.

I guess Em will be next, since her entire life is an operetta! She sings her way through everything and about everything. The other day she was downstairs singing about her dog, her party, her 'kids', and she often makes up her own "praise" songs about things I doubt she understands. In her songs, God blesses everything - you, me, pillows and blankets. We've got to address that theology!

Added: I was just checking out some news and this popped out at me - mostly because I'd just posted this. Maybe we have something here...

No comments: