Friday, February 10, 2006

Web Advertisements

I can handle most web advertising (especially if it's for Disney!), but lately I have come to loathe the ones that fly across the screen or pop over what you really want to read. Then you can do nothing until the annoying thing is finished. I'm thinking about keeping a list of these ads and boycotting the products. I mean, how annoying that these companies would infringe on my privacy by blocking out my access to my email account for 2.2 seconds!!! It's an outrage and I'm ready to take action. Who's with me??

Actually, I'm only kidding... I am tired of those ads but I'm more tired of people becoming outraged over tiny little personal freedom issues. We live in such a "me, me" culture that we are often blinded by our self-absorption. We forget that patience is a virtue, a fruit of the spirit, and if we are that upset about something so small we ought to examine our own hearts first.

Leading up to today, I've been in a funk about Kt's school parent teacher conference. I had a long list of "issues" I needed to discuss about my daughter's education, or lack thereof. I could find tons of miniscule "items of concern" that needed to be addressed. Fortunately, I prayed about them all and today, when I went in, only a couple remained. It was a pleasant conference, with minimal concerns, lots of nice compliments about our daughter and a generally good feeling.

I noticed that this teacher 1) blocked off a time slot before and after us, and 2) asked her student teacher to join us. I was a teacher - I can read between those lines!! In my confession before I stepped in there it occurred to me that I am so impatient that I often forget to listen. I cloud my mind with "me, me" and don't wait to see/hear what needs to be revealed to me. I'm self-centered, self-righteous and very judgmental. In essence, I'm not even a work in progress, I'm a work in digress!! How awful!

I'm glad I figured that out before I sued the school system (slight exaggeration - the thought never even crossed my mind, but fit into the above example!). My goal is really to create the optimum learning environment for my daughter, at school and at home, because what she doesn't get at school (spiritual development for one!) must be completed at home. I can't do this without the teacher feeling supported - I know that, I'm a teacher. All in all, I think that's how we truly left it, honestly.

Now, those ads... how can we get rid of them! Such a nuisance!

No comments: