Thursday, February 16, 2006

"Symbol Pictures"

Having grown up during the time of typewriters as opposed to computers, this "symbol picture" stuff is all new to me. I mean, when your typing class consists of correction tape, ticking and little "dings" who would even think to experiment with trying to create pictures with characters??? Cleaning up a bit around here, I came across an old paper I'd written in 8th grade. I even remember typing it up on the old Remington on that onion paper. Oh, the pains we went through. If kids today only knew how easy they had it!!

On a message board for one of my newest time wasters, I have managed to find myself surrounded by a younger generation and have learned a lot culturally from them. I find them all SO creative, innovative and lots of fun - but all that for another post! One "thread" they all started was on "symbol pictures" and I got permission from the queen of them all to post some of her creations. I believe these are created in her keyboarding class at school. Hmmm.... sounds fun! Unlike my "typing" class taught by some retired secretary from the 50's!

Here are a few: (I hope they work on this site!)

These are copyrights of the VortexQueen lazy people, designs, computer produtions. All above designs belong to the company and are illegal to use unless asked and approved.
.........................
.....oooO..............
.....(.....)......Oooo....
......\...(.......(......)....
........\_).......).../.....
....................(_/.......
..........................
......oooO..............
.....(.....)....Oooo...
......\...(.....(.....)....
.......\_).....).../.....
.............,...(_/....... this is fun in the sun

AND
._____****__________**** ______
___***____***____***__ *** ____
__***________****_______***___
_***__________**_________***__
_***_____________________***_
_***________JuSt_________***_
__***_____ShOwInG______***__
___***______LuV________***___
____***_______________***____
______***___________***______
________***_______***________
__________***___***__________
____________*****____________
_____________***_____VortexGirl
______________*______________.

AND FINALLY, MY PERSONAL FAVORITE:

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
(¸.´ (¸.´ .´ ¸¸.•¨¯`• just a heart.



One of the reasons I LOVE the last one is that another 30something poster on that thread followed that with this:

______________________________

I call this a line.

I laughed so hard when I read that!

These kids posted picture after picture, some really good, some totally cryptic but most of them showed a reasonable amount of creativity. Many added color (something we NEVER had on a typewriter - at least not mine!) and lots of them, like this artist, had "copyright"ed them. Not sure how that works, but I will ask you not to copy these. You are more than welcome to copy the link.

This thread gave me a glimpse into a far different world than the one that I remember back in the 80's in high school. It's a small example of how us older folks need to remember that times are so different now. Moreso than even the difference between us and our own parents. I think this generation is linked to the world in a way that we never were, and they can communicate in ways that we might not even expect or think to listen to.

I have been formulating a post in my head on community that has a bit to do with these symbol pictures and the things that they represent. For these kids, this is fun, creative, an outlet and an expression of who they are and what they stand for. It's so much more than clothes and a look these days - are we even in touch with this generation? How can we forge a way into their world? and where will they allow us to??? All that and more, coming soon!

Thanks, VortexGirl!!

No comments: