Monday, February 27, 2006

Brazil Reunion

Yesterday was my long-awaited "get to meet" the missionary that T and his space group spent 10 days with in Brazil last summer. (Is that a run on sentence???) It was great fun to meet him. I had to rush home from Connecticut to make it in time. GM was awesome, exactly as I had expected him to be, a true servant at heart. The joy and appreciation was written all over the faces of each of the team members that arrived to see him. I think everyone in this group would return in a heartbeat - it was an awesome trip. (More here....)

While I loved to meet him and chat a bit about him possibly bringing a group of Brazilians here this summer or next Jan, it was fun to watch the group meet again. I threw together a chicken chili dish that I made at Let's Dish last week (save that for another post!), and as they were all standing around the island in our kitchen I looked at T and said, "The last time everyone was here like this was the day you all left last summer!" It was kind of strange, like a deja vu moment. So little did we know, how excited and nervous everyone was, and how strangely silent it as after they all left. Just me and my girls for almost 2 weeks.

It was an honor to have GM visit us in our home yesterday, to serve him in some small way. We wish him safe travels today as he heads home to his family that he hasn't seen in a month. I'm certain it will be a well-received reunion! He mentioned one of his sons had saved over $200 for his father to purchase him an IPOD - he is waiting with bated breath for that baby! And his wife? Well, after last summer I am certain I know a bit how she feels. It's a long time to be a single parent.

Of course, my favorite part about this visit yesterday was briefly dreaming about what it might be like to host a group from Brazil. Some of our dreams: to hook up with someone in NYC, to do an outreach together in our own community, to give them a taste of real life in America. GM mentioned that it will be eye opening for them to realize that life in America is not like Disney World every day (of course, I don't really know what he's talking about - of course it is! - haha). I also, for myself, want to understand a little bit about what it was like for T and his group to build these relationships with these Brazilians. I want to meet them, to get to know them, to spend time with people from another culture.

And this summer? Well, we're still waiting on that one. It won't be long now. T and I are debating what to do about our own vacation, which seems to become less important each year. One day I hope to take our whole family on one of these trips. Not that it will be our vacation, but I can't wait to take our girls somewhere. With limited vacation time, limited funds and more space trips, our time for us is shrinking a bit - but it's all good for now. Maybe I'll somehow convince T to take us to Disneyland....

No comments: