Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Hearts All Around!!

Happy Valentine's Day!!

I'll try something new today, add a splash of color! Today is one of my favorite days of the year. It was especially fun when I was teaching. Kids really are what make valentine's day so special. They write the funniest things on their cards. When I was young, my sister was in the hospital with Reye's Syndrome for about a week. She is fine now, but I remember when she was home recovering her classmates (all second graders) sent her valentines or get-well cards. The funniest one was from a little boy and went like this:

Roses are red,
Violets are yellow,
When I think of you,
My knees turn to Jell-O.

I thought it was adorable and we all laughed so hard about that one. We still quote it once in a while. What a goofy thing for a kid to write or even think of. I wonder if he had a little help? Who knows!

T and I have opted tonight, as we have for all our Valentine's Days with our children, to stay in and have a special dinner just with them. I honestly can't imagine celebrating it away from them. Maybe that's just the teacher in me. It's so important to them and for us, well, he can take me out any day of the year and make it romantic. (Well, OK, maybe that's a stretch - fun, anyway!) This is the perfect day to teach our children about love.

Well, I'm off for now to get dinner started - Chicken Parmesean, Salad, Strawberries - sliced so they have that heart shape!, corn - because they all love it, garlic bread - I may have forgotten this, have to have T pick some up on the way home - hehe, and some heart cookies. I guess T will have to wait in line with his garlic bread behind the hundreds of men who have to pick up flowers. They had a whole table set up at the grocery store today just for roses - and roses were everywhere!!! We are all allergic to them in our house (boohoo!). Last night at the mall - lines out the door at Godiva. The smart men who thought ahead!

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

No comments: