Friday, February 03, 2006

Raising $$

I've been thinking about this today - for a missions trip. What is appropriate for students to do to raise money for a trip?? Is it OK to: send support letters? do "fundraisers"? if fundraisers, in the church?? out of the church??

I'm thinking about all this because the question has arisen. We might possibly have a trip that costs a lot of money. I don't know that we have ever organized any kind of fundraiser with our students and I'm not sure the leadership in our church is comfortable with this anyway. I don't know how I feel about this.

Actually, when T and I first came to GCC we had a group of students come to our house to paint and we gave them a donation towards their trip to Trinidad. I didn't think that was a bad idea, in fact, I kind of enjoyed it (except for the part where T gave them something I didn't want painted to paint - something my grandfather had put a LOT of time into finishing!). I like the idea of the students doing something to serve in order to raise the funds needed to go on a trip. I'm not sure why this has all of a sudden become a problem with our church.

When T and I first thought through the idea of SPACE, I had a flood of ideas, many of which have never been acted upon. I saw a way to involve the adults of our church with the students in an active way through prayer and support. Had we actually moved ahead with those plans, we might not have to even be talking about this issue. The fact is, very few people at GCC have any idea what SPACE is, what the youth do in the warehouse, let alone what any summer plans might be. By limiting the exposure of these things to the church, I feel like we are stripping the church from opportunities to participate in these exciting trips and the lives of the students.

I feel the same way about the lack of interest in asking people to serve in specific areas of the church. Last Sunday made me realize that a majority of the people who might actually serve in any one of the needed areas (where there is currently a great need!) have no idea that there is a need. How difficult is it to express this need in front of everyone on a Sunday morning? I've not figured out the aversion to asking for help that has developed in our church.

Anyway, what is appropriate?? Any ideas?

No comments: