Friday, February 03, 2006

DC Historical Site in Jeopardy

This place sounds interesting - I've never been! I have been on the hunt for any information about a hotel on 16th street that my grandmother's aunt and uncle used to own. I know it no longer exists, but I have a dance card from the 1920's that has a picture of Hotel Gordon on the front. It's from their New Years Gala.

Older buildings in DC are quite grand and they are losing out to bigger, more modern structures. I hope the historical society can hold on to this one - I would love to visit it sometime!! I'm a sucker for old antiquities. Hey Smithsonian, how about an old mansion to add to your collection??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there any way that you can scan and post your photo of the Gordon Hotel?

deanna said...

I can try to do that. I also amazingly found a postcard on ebay with a picture that I selfishly bought. If I can track that down I'll try to scan it and post it as well.

What is your connection with the hotel? The dance card is one of a handful of things I have left from my grandparents who both grew up in DC. I wish the hotel was still standing!