Thursday, February 09, 2006

Funny 70's Thing

I just got this email today and, well, yup. It's me!! It's kind of long, but super funny. I've added my own little comments for your reading enjoyment.

You Were a Little Girl in the 70’s if…


You wore a rainbow shirt that was half-sleeves, and the rainbow went up one sleeve, across your chest, and down the other. (Had one - it was my prized possession!)

You made baby chocolate cakes in your Easy Bake Oven and washed them down with snow cones from your Snoopy Snow Cone Machine. (All the time - I owned the Easy Bake, the Snow Cone Machine was my sister's - she was a Snoopy Freak!!)

You had that Fisher Price Doctor's Kit with a stethoscope that actually worked. (Can't remember, but all my friends had it!)

You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it. (Yes, and it was stolen from my front porch!)

You learned to skate with actual skates (not roller blades) that had metal wheels. (Heck yeah - REAL roller skating!)

You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute (admit it!) (Absolutely - The Looooove Boat! Soon you'll be making another ....)

You had nightmares after watching Fantasy Island. (Ze Plane, Ze Plane...)

You had rubber boots for rainy days and Moon boots for snowy days. (Those rubber boots - always took your shoes off with them!)

You had either a "bowl cut" or "pixie," not to mention the "Dorothy Hamill" because your Mom was sick of braiding your hair. People sometimes thought you were a boy. (School pictures to prove it!)

Your Holly Hobbie sleeping bag was your most prized possession. (No sleeping bag, but my WHOLE room, wastebasket, curtains, bedspreads and all were Holly Hobbie.)

You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers. (All three, in bulk!)

You begged Santa for the electronic game, Simon. (Still have it - awesome game!)

You had the Donnie and Marie dolls with those pink and purple satiny shredded outfits. (Not sure about the dolls, but watched the show faithfully - I'm a little bit country, he's a little bit rock 'n roll!)

You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with the trapeze. The swing set tipped over at least once. (Tipped over all the time until my dad replaced it with one with bars and cemented it into the groud!)

You had homemade ribbon barrettes in every imaginable color. (I MADE homemade ribbon barrettes in every color combination known to girls!)

You had a pair of Doctor Scholl's sandals (the ones with hard sole & the buckle). You also had a pair of salt-water sandals. (Not sure we could afford these, but I'm sure I had generic ones!)

You wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder really bad;you wore that Little House on the Prairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the high neck in at least one school picture; and you despised Nellie Olson! (Just call me half-pint!)

You wanted your first kiss to be at a roller rink. (Got it!)

Your hairstyle was described as having "wings" or "feathers" and you kept it "pretty" with the comb you kept in your back pocket. (Feathers and the plastic comb with a huge handle fit quite nice in the back pocket of my Sergio Valente jeans!)

You know who Strawberry Shortcake is, as well as her friends, Blueberry Muffin and Huckleberry Pie. (Yup - had the little treehouse for them, too!)

You carried a Muppets lunch box to school and it was metal, not plastic. (I loved the Muppets, had lots of metal and plastic lunch boxes!)


You and your girlfriends would fight over which of the Dukes of Hazzard was your boyfriend. (Ah, Bo!)

Every now and then "It's a Hard Knock Life" from the movie, "Annie" will pop into your brain and you can't stop singing it the whole day. (My sister would belt this song out over and over and over again!)

YOU had Star Wars action figures, too! (Nope, my little brother had to have something of his own! Of course, to this day he's still bitter about my sister breaking his Millenium Falcon - he was JUST telling me that in January!)

It was a big event in your household each year when the "Wizard of Oz" would come on TV. Your mom would break out the popcorn and sleeping bags! (I never did see the end of this movie - always fell asleep before that!)

You often asked your Magic-8 ball the question: "Who will I marry. Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, or Rick Springfield?" (Nope, just Rick Springfield.)

You completely wore out your Grease, Saturday Night Fever, and Fame soundtrack record album. (Absolutely - Fame, I wanna live forever!)

You tried to do lots of arts and crafts, like yarn and Popsicle-stick God's eyes, decoupage, or those weird potholders made on a plastic loom. Pot holders - I believe they were called ‘loomloopers". ( I actually still have the loom - it's in my bedroom!)

You made Shrinky-Dinks and put iron-on kittens on your t-shirts! (I can still smell these!)

You used to tape record songs off the radio by holding your portable tape player up to the speaker. (Oh yeah - and even add some vocals!)

You couldn't wait to get the free animal poster that came when you ordered books from the Weekly Reader book club. Double score if it was a teddy bear dressed in clothing. (Hmmm.. still have a bear collection and the marks on the ceiling in my old bedroom where the original sticky tack stained it to hold this poster there!)

You learned everything you needed to know about girl issues from Judy Blume books (Are you there God, It's me, Margaret.) (Thanks, Mrs. Blume!)

You thought Olivia Newton John's song "Physical" was about aerobics. (Well she wore the outfit in the video! What else could it have been about???)

You wore friendship pins on your tennis shoes, or shoelaces with heart or rainbow designs. (And I can't remember anymore what the colors mean - anyone??)

You wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer. (That or sing on Barbara Mandrell!)

You had a Big Wheel with a brake on the side, and a Sit-n-Spin. (Ticking Big Wheels, no sit-n-spin but a couple Hoppity Horses WITH real horsie heads!)

You had subscriptions to Dynamite and Tiger Beat. (Dynamite - all the way! and Highlights, because my mom was a teacher!)

You spent all your allowance on smurfs and stickers for your sticker album! (Left the Smurfs to my younger siblings, had stickers all over my bedroom door and the album to boot!)

PASS THIS ON TO ALL OF YOUR 30 OR 40-SOMETHINGGIRLFRIENDS. IT WILL MAKE THEM SMILE TOO!!!!


** They forgot about drowning yourself in Love's Baby Soft - which was the first "real" perfume you ever owned . . (Don't remember this one!)

No comments: