Monday, February 13, 2006

Shut Down

As is typical in MD, around 18 inches of snow has effectively shut down anything that doesn't generate money! All schools in the state are closed. We had an entire day to dig out, plow, dry up and even melt a little. Apparently, some neighborhoods were never plowed. Ours, fortunately, was not one of them. YEAH!!

Last night my neighbor A called and invited us to go swimming. I'm so glad she wasn't calling to go sledding! I've seen pictures of sledders, read articles about it and even watched a bit on TV. I used to LOVE sledding. I grew up on "Church Hill Road" and the 'hill' was awesome, other than the busy road at the bottom! If we got enough snow, the plows would build up a rather large bank that would usually provide a barrier between careening sledders and the cars below. The occasional huge tree in our path was also an issue, as was the huge sign at the bottom for the church.

I can remember once having a snowman building contest there. My best friend and I pushed a tiny snowball down the hill first and then made it about half the way up before it was larger than us! Our snowman had to be completed right in the middle of the hill! Ah, those were the days!

We also used to make these funny sledding paths down the snowbanks created in the church's parking lot (which only about 10 cars can even fit in!). We gave them names like "The Sizzler" or "The Twister" and used her mom's vinyl placemats to sled them. It was hysterical. I think we used names from all the rides we used to love at the "Assumption Fair," a spring carnival at the local Catholic church. We would spend hours outside doing this.

The girls had their fun yesterday. We didn't take them "real" sledding, but they did sled down our little neighborhood hills. Someday we'll take them to a real sledding hill, maybe even in Connecticut. I hear they have plenty of snow to last even a few weeks possibly!!

No comments: