Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Speed Traps

Last year, I wrote a bit on here about a police officer who was struck and hit while doing what they call around here walk out traffic stops. It's a practice I always thought was frightening. Scott Wheeler stepped out in front a vehicle that was traveling 77mph in a 55mph zone. Let me just say, it was on a road that our neighborhood sits on and the average traveling speed on that road is 65-70mph. I know that's illegal, but if you are going with traffic, that is a speed you'd likely be traveling. This girl did not even see him step out and didn't know what she had hit - at least that's how the story goes.

Today on FoxNews they are reporting that she was only fined $350 and had 3 points put on her license. I imagine this will not sit well with many police officers, and truthfully I am really surprised that was her only consequence after going before a grand jury. However, I couldn't be happier that they have put an end to that practice as it always terrified me to watch those police officers walk out and stand in the middle of the road just pointing at people - I think it was a terribly way to patrol heavily traveled and high speed roadways. Hopefully this will put an end to that! For Scott Wheeler's family, I wish them peace although I'm sure this will hardly suffice.

No comments: