Thursday, June 21, 2007

Speed Enforcement

That's what they call it around here when police officers band together, park along dangerous roadways in "inconspicuous" areas, jump out in front of speeding vehicles and direct them over to the side of the road. It's quite dangerous for everyone involved, and if you ask me, I think it's just plain stupid. They often set up these speed traps at the entrance to our neighborhood, so I'm all too familiar with them. The road just outside our neighborhood already has a speed limit of 55, so it's no small road. Add to that the huge hill just before our left turn off that road, and you have a favorite speed trap location.

Often, on Sundays and any nice weather day, I will approach that hill with extreme caution. My first hint is the onslaught of brake lights in front of me as we approach the apex of the hill. Many residents know to watch for this, but many others who travel along the thoroughfare on occasion would not even take notice. In fact, many of them quickly move to the left lane to pass all those cautious drivers in a lane that will disappear into the trunks of radar equipment belonging to the county sheriff.

My second hint is exactly that, black vehicles, trunks open and little ant-sized men in black with reflective vests running all over the side of the road AND across it! I am always thinking to myself that they must be completely out of their minds, running out in front of hundreds of cars barreling down a hill at top speed. It's just totally crazy!

Of course, the fact that I have to be in the left lane to pull over and turn left to go home doesn't help this situation, especially when these officers and their prey find it of no concern to anyone except me to use the lane that I need to pull into! Why they think that left turn lane is appropriate for ticket writing is beyond me, but it only adds to my boiling blood pressure!

Tomorrow there will be a funeral at our church for one of these speed enforcement officers who met his demise while stepping out in front of an unsuspecting speeding SUV. Sometimes, catching people off guard isn't the best way to enforce a law, especially when it puts the lives of others in harms way. I wonder if it's really worth it for these officers to do this? Is there a better, safer way of enforcing speed limits?? I have to admit, I've had these officers run out in front of my car when I was NOT the one speeding!! I have no idea why they did it, but it nearly caused an accident when I had to swerve to miss him and caused another car to swerve next to me. It's just a horrifyingly frightening thing! I, for one, would feel better if they would just not set these crazy traps up!

So, tomorrow, the only place large enough in the county for all who want to come and pay respects to a man who stepped out in front of a speeding car can do that at our church, where we will be arriving around 5 to set up our tents to camp out and clean up before the wedding the next day. (Just a note - we booked our little campout before anyone else!)

No comments: