Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Yoke

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-31
I really cannot begin to describe what a 24 hour Holter Monitor is like for someone who suffers from PVC's, somewhat of an obsessive/compulsive personality and a family history of heart disease that would make even the strongest of men shudder. If ever I've felt insane, it was the last 24 hours for sure. In all honesty, I've felt for almost three weeks like at any point, I might actually die. It's petrifying. No, it's just plain gut wrenching!!

This morning, I went to our last women's Connection group. It was a worship set and a short teaching on the passage above. I almost cried when our pastor's wife put the verse up on the screen because for the past couple of weeks I've had this running through my head, "My yoke is easy and my burden is light." For real. In fact, when she jokingly asked how many of us had used the word "yoke" in the past week, not meaning part of an egg, I almost jumped out of my seat!! I knew instantly that God had given me His word, that He allowed me to go this morning despite hours of monitoring that seemed to be debilitating and night of no rest.

Everything in this verse speaks to me now. Weary, burdened, rest, yoke, easy, light.... I guess sometimes God needs to give us real life lessons so we can really experience His word. He totally has my attention this time!! While anxiety plays a huge role in what's happening, there's a physical aspect of it that I have little or no control over. It's overwhelming, it's debilitating, it's humiliating and it's going to persuade me to turn to the only one who can offer me rest. I'm so glad He's the great physician and that my heart is in His hands.

May God grant you peace from His Word in His Time.

No comments: