Friday, May 05, 2006

The Woes of a Room Parent

I was somehow selected this year to be the "room parent" for Kt's class. I'm not exactly sure how that happened, as I only said I would do it if no one else volunteered. I was chosen and later found out that at least two other moms had wanted the job! I don't know why, and there's not all that much to it anyway. I call myself the "party mom" because I was told all I need to do is find parents to send in items for parties. Simple enough. Especially considering it's only been for two parties!

One of the more dubious jobs for a party mom is organizing the class to send in items for Teacher Appreciation week, which happens to be next week. Having had sick children and being somewhat sick myself, this has been no easy task. I went over to school, looked up Kt's teacher's "wish list" and came up with a simple plan. Monday - bring in a flower to form a bouquet for your teacher to enjoy through the week, Tuesday - your free expression of thankfulness, Wednesday - let her know how sweet she is by sending in something chocolate (chocolate was the all she put down for things she likes, chocolate of any kind!), and Thursday - send in a poem. Now the poems are supposed to come to me via Kt by Wed and I was going to assemble them in some fashion - a book or something - and wrap it up for some students to present. Friday there is no school, so only four days to plan.

This afternoon I received a phone call from a mom in the room. She thanked me for putting together such a nice letter (written, printed, sent in with a neighbor since Kt was home sick!) and organizing everything. She wanted to know if I'd heard that this teacher would not be in school all next week. Her husband is having surgery so she'll be out taking care of him. I then verified this with Kt as being true - she just told the class today. I'm going to go crawl back into bed and wake up sometime at the end of next week!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Aww! Well, you could do the plan for the next week- I bet after the stress of being home and having an ill husband she'd appreciate it even MORE!
you sound like a great room parent!