Saturday, May 13, 2006

My Mother's Day Present!

Well, by far, this gift was the most surprising. This Mother's Day was sure to be different as T planned his NYC trip on it, is coming home in the middle of the night. I was OK with the whole idea as it freed me up to go to Connecticut, but that never happened. When T left on Thursday, the plan was for him to take the girls to his mom's tomorrow for lunch and I would get a day to myself - I've been looking forward to this all week, knowing that I would likely not get to go to Connecticut because of Em being sick. T's parents were busy tomorrow evening, so in my mind, that was out of the question. Busy playing Mah Jong.

So, tonight, I get a call from his mom, who knows that he is not home. She wants to know about tomorrow. It's 9:00pm, I'm getting the girls in bed, I tell her he won't be home until the wee hours of the morning, as they have not even left NYC and she tells me she knows that... She wants to know what we are doing tomorrow night for dinner. I'm a little surprised, I told her I didn't know but I thought they were busy playing Mah Jong. She tells me no, that we are having dinner with them for Mother's Day. Wow - surprise to me! I told her I thought T was taking the girls over for lunch tomorrow, she replies with a hearty, "Oh, no. I called him yesterday morning (while he was in NYC!) and he said dinner was OK." I asked what they planned and she said she didn't know, but what did we want to do. So, I told her I had no idea, it's Mother's Day, most people have made reservations for this day well in advance, I just don't know. She'll have to talk to T!

So, I send T a little text about this fiasco. He tells me they are bringing dinner to our house. I am already seeing that my Mother's Day will look more like this: I will get up while T snores away, unable to rise due to the fact that he drove all night for these teenagers to get home for Mother's Day, I will have to get the girls ready and take them to church, then come home and clean my house for visitors that I had no idea were coming. No fun shopping, no alone time, and all this on Mother's Day. Oh, how I wish I were in Connecticut!! Next time, on Mother's Day, I hope I get to vote!

ADD: Moral of this story - if you think you are getting a day alone, don't plan ahead - just way too disappointing!

UPDATE: Well, it turns out his mom didn't want to have dinner in, she wanted to go out. So I sent him along with the girls and I stayed home. Did a bit of shopping, but on Sunday everything closes kind of early, so a quick trip and now I'm home again!

No comments: