Tuesday, May 16, 2006

New England Flooding

I found a bunch of pictures in this WP article on the the floods in New England. I went to college in this very area and have friends that still live up there. I emailed a friend who lives in Cape Neddick (one the pictures shows a collapsed Cape Neddick bridge) which is near York, ME (more pictures!). She said she only had flooding in her basement yesterday, but in town they were under water. She was not sure her husband would be able to find a route home!! That is some serious flooding.

For those of you who have never been to New England, anything related to water up there is cold! The coastline is very rocky, so there are not many sandy beaches but plenty of quaint little towns, or seaports, set up along the coast. It's no surprise to see these little towns under water right now! But very sad!! Just to give you an idea of how cold water is up there, I arrived back at Gordon early August one year. It was super hot, very humid... We went to our favorite beach one afternoon, Singing Beach, and the water was crystal clear, as usual (not much grows in it!), and went body surfing. For about 5 minutes. When we all got out, we were completely numb!

Two summers ago Tony, my mom and I took the girls to Cape Cod for a few days. That same summer we had gone to Hilton Head. When I was going through pictures, I found a bunch of the girls on the beach and wondered how I could tell the two beaches apart. Then it occurred to me, the ones from Cape Cod only had people on the beach, no one was in the water!! Just way too cold!

Just keep these folks in your prayers. It's no New Orleans, but having sewage back up into your house, your belonging washed away and ruined and streets impassable is just no fun. I'm hoping the rains slow soon so they can get to work cleaning up that mess!

No comments: