Monday, May 22, 2006

Psycho bunny!

Well, this bunny saga continues. Things are actually looking a little grim... After spending the day tracking this bunny all over my yard, watching her stomp on her nest, scare away birds and squirrels and hang out keeping watch under various trees, I began to realize that this was not ordinary bunny behavior... This bunny shouldn't be here. Last year, the bunny lady mentioned that the bunny will only come to the nest for about 5-10 minutes - that we would likely never see her, as he being near her babies would draw far too much attention to them. All this started coming back to me today, so I called our nice bunny lady.

I missed her call unfortunately, but I knew something was wrong as I listened to her message. This was a question for a more experienced bunny lady - one who lives in South Carolina!! I started writing down the new bunny lady's email when I lost it in some static. I thought it might be worth a call back except that when I came downstairs, something disturbing happened. Emily came in to tell the all the bunnies were gone. When I looked out, mama bunny was on the hill, but her nest was all in a shamble and there is no sign of the babies.

Were there ever any babies to begin with? I never did see any, only assumed they were there. Did she take them away?? Did a predator come?? I doubt this, but I guess it's possible... If they left why was she still sitting on the hill?? All very puzzling, but something is very wrong here. I have no idea what the deal is with our psycho bunny mama!! If you think you know, please fill me in!!

2 comments:

doubleknot said...

Something is wrong with your bunny. Be careful and don't try to approch her - they do get this disease - which I can't think of the name of right now - and it can be passed on to humans.
When I was raising rabbits I had to work out several systems to keep the ants form finding the new babies and eating them - I know that sounds grue some and it is that also may have happened to her babies and she was stompping the nest trying to get rid of them.

deanna said...

Hmm... I'll have to check into that. That does not sound like good news!